Day 2 Post Op, Implants Look Rectangular Instead of Round. Will They Fill in After 3 Months? (photo)

I am orignally 34 C and wanted 34DD. I went with silicone 425 cc's. High Profile...

Rectangular look

+2

Since you are only a couple iof days out I would be aptient and let the breast settle and the swelling to go down.In the ned Im sure all will be well.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Typical high position of implants right after breast augmentation

+2

The "rectangular" look that you notice is normal and very typical for any patient that undergoes either saline or silicone gel subpectoral breast augmentation (under the muscle).  With a larger implant and even a high profile implant this may be a bit exaggerated.  This is normal and will get better with time as you do implant massages.  It typically takes about 6 weeks but can take up to 3 months.

James F. Boynton, MD

Implant position is normally "too high" 2 days after surgery, especially with submuscular placement.

+2

Your implant position is high, but some degree of this is normal right after surgery. As your tissues heal, muscles stretch, and scar tissue softens, implant position will drop into place behind your breasts, filling out your ptotic (drooping) breast skin and reducing the fullness that is presently seen just below your collarbones.

Your surgeon may have taught you implant movement exercises that will help your implant pockets remain soft and non-contracted, and he or she may have you wear an elastic bandeau for a portion of each day to help drop implants into position (I have my patients wear their band at night and go braless during the day so gravity can also help implant position).

It will take several weeks to as long as several months for your implants to drop into their final position. Be patient and follow your surgeon's recommendations. This will continue to improve over time, and I believe you should be at the size you wish when implants have properly filled their optimal position behind your own breast tissue. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Rectangular breasts after implants placement for augmentation

+1

It looks from your pictures that the implants were placed behind the muscle. This is what is giving rise to the extreme degree of upper pole fullness that is evident in the photos.

For women with as much breast tissue and skin as you have in your preoperative pictures I generally recommend an on top of the muscle placement. However the implants were placed they are riding too high. They should settle over time. Generally speaking I recommend waiting 2-3 months to see how things even out. In the meantime to help this process I recommend the use of a bandeau bra. This is a bra with a strap that goes over the top of the breasts to help push the implants into their final position.

If the contour does not improve by 2 or 3 months post surgery then a revision will be necessary.

Daniel Greenwald, MD