Is Cystic Acne Scar Treatment Recommended While Still Breaking Out?

I've had cystic acne for 10yrs and it's left awful scars, large pores, and sagging skin (I can pull skin away, not attached to anything beneath). I've had 3 dermatologists, 9rxs- it's a deep sort, usually doesn't surface, and most cysts are around for 2-3mos. I usually have 3 at a time on my face- better than it used to be. Im 28; Will this ever go away? I'd like to get resurfacing done, but I don't want to waste money if new scars will just keep coming..I have mostly boxcar and ice pick scars.

+1

Thank you for your question. Cystic acne is better treated with Accutane. I would recommend getting the acne controlled quickly to prevent scarring. Get an evaluation by a Board Certified Dermatologist and then treating the scars with lasers and/or injectables. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Cystic Acne Scar Treatment

+1

It is not necessary to wait until you have zero acne cysts in order to begin treatment for acne scars and enlarged pores.  The scars that are already present can be improved upon, while current acne flares are still being treated.  Ideally, you will treat both the active acne and acne scars.  You may want to discuss in-office treatments for acne, if you have tried numerous prescription medications.  Treatments, such as photodynamic therapy and the Isolaz laser, can be very helpful in the treatment of active acne and even improve the appearance of marks from old acne and sagging skin to some degree.  However, the best treatment for the type of scarring that you have described is Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing.  This laser treatment does not worsen active acne and can be performed while using most acne treatments.

Eric Schweiger, MD