Are Allergan CUI Silicone Breast Implants Safe?

Are they more liquid than cohesive gel or are they a type of cohesive gel? Are they an economy brand?

Allergan CUI Silicone Breast implants are safe

+3

These implants are safe. However, as it has already been pointed out, these implants are not available in the U.S. They are a cohesive gel implant with a firmer shell.

There are other excellent implants.

+2

Hi!

There is less experience with these implants and I see absolutely no reason to turn to them, although I am sure they are safe.

In New York, we use Mentor smooth walled, cohesive silicone gel, moderate PLUS profile breast implants for most breast augmentation patients.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Good implants - and they even literally saved someone's life!

+2

Allergan bought CUI and distributes them overseas. They are not available in the United States. I know they are priced lower than their Natrelle products, but I don't know if it is of any less quality. They are definitely firmer. That means that they ripple and fold less, will possibly break less, and if they do, the gel will likely spread less. But since they only come in round shapes, by being a highly cohesive round implant, they tend to look more round. That's good for a revision in a woman with thin tissue or for someone wanting to look round, but not necessarily for a first time patient. That's why anatomic high cohesive are so popular; if you are using a high cohesive filer, you want it to have the shape that you want it to end up with. With a regular round implant, there is enough shell collapse so that the implant adopts a quasi-anatomic shape - albeit with some degree of folding and loss of vertical height.

There is even a story of an Israeli woman whose life was saved by her CUI implant when shrapnel from a Hezbollah terrorist's rocket was stopped by her CUI breast implant, thereby saving her life!

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

CUI Silicone Breast Implants

+1
CUI breast implants are an Allergan implant company and sold overseas, not in the USA. They are more cohesive (less liquid, more firm) and probably safe, but would be an off label FDA use as not licensed in the USA as yet. Although they are probably safe why would you want to use an implant not commonly uses as yet in the US?

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS