Crooked nose 6 weeks after closed reduction. Is it swelling and will it improve? (Photo)

I did closed reduction 6 weeks ago to straight my broken and crockett nose but its still crockett goes to left,6 weekst after surgery,its can be from swelling or thats final result?my doctor told me to push with finger to the right but its not helps to much.what do you think this gonna be final result or can be better after few weeks or months??and something i or my doctor can do to my nose can be more straight?

S/p closed reduction of nasal fracture

+1
You may have some swelling at 6 weeks that could possibly change over time.  It is not always possible to completely correct a nasal deformity with a closed reduction alone.   You may need a formal rhinoplasty to get the desired result.  This may be done at 6-12 months after the closed reduction if healing is felt to be complete.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Stan, thank you for your question. It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

closed reduction versus open reduction of the nasal bones

+1
At 6 weeks after a closed reduction, the nasal bones are set in a permanent position. An open reduction nasal fracture through closed rhinoplasty techniques can narrow and straighten the nasal bones more effectively due to the medial and lateral osteotomies that are performed. In closed reduction, osteotomies are not performed. For many examples of crooked noses repaired in our practice, please see the link below

Nasal Fracture

+1
After six weeks the bone is stabilized. Treatment of a nasal fracture is not a rhinoplasty.Your present result should be similar to the situation prior to the fracture.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Crooked nose 6 weeks after closed reduction.

+1
After six weeks it is likely that your nose is "set" and will not change greatly. Nasal fracture can dislocate the upper cartilage which can remain displaced after reduction of the nasal bone. Also a fracture might unmask a deviation in the septum. If you are unhappy after full healing an open reduction might be an option, or perhaps the problem is with the septum.

Correcting the crooked nose

+1
At 6 weeks following rhinoplasty, you are early in your recovery and there is still swelling present. However, it sounds that you feel that your nose is still deviated to the left. This was something that was present prior to surgery and seems to have been one of your main motives for having rhinoplasty. In some cases, early postoperative asymmetries will improve while in other cases they do not.

Regardless of how good a rhinoplasty surgeon is, it is difficult if not impossible to completely straighten out a nose-the goal is to make it significantly better so that any remaining deviation is subtle and imperceptible.

Digital pressure to the nose in the direction opposite to the deviation can help to resist intrinsic forces in the cartilage that will try to return the cartilage to its original shape-this is especially the case in the first few months. After this point, scar tissue has set the cartilages in their position. It is worthwhile to perform these maneuvers at 6 weeks as it can still reduce the degree of deviation that will occur.

You should continue to follow-up with your surgeon until you are completely healed if you continue to have concerns-it will take about 1 year to see the final result after rhinoplasty surgery.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Nose still crooked

+1
Talk to your doctor.  Hard to tell how crooked it really is compared to where it was.  Also, sometimes, if the septum was also fractured, you might need some septal surgery down the line, say 9 months or so, to further straighten the nose. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon