Is Coolsculpting Safe on the Nerves?

I am scheduled for a Coolsculpting procedure to remove my not very prominent saddlebags tomorrow night, but I have started to get cold feet because I am not convinced that the treatment will not injure the nerves found in the surrounding area. Many thanks beforehand for your answers!!

Zeltiq CoolSculpting for fat loss and lack of nerve injury

+1

Despite the large numbers of cases of CoolSculpting that have been performed since the company's development of this non-surgical fat reduction treatment via freezing the fat, there have been very few reported cases of complications and nerve injury is not a commonly reported problem. There may be some sensitivity in the first few weeks, which is understandable, but it is self-limiting. Possibly there could be rare problems with off-label uses but typically the procedure is done on the flanks ( love handles ) and abdomen without problems.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

CoolSculpting is 100% Safe

+1

CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for the flanks (love handles) and abdomen and is proven to be a safe and effective treatment. Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after the treatment though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Your nerves will not be injured. Best of luck with your procedure. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting and Nerves

+1

The temporary numbness is a normal expected outcome that is completely temporary.  The possible explanation is damage to the sheath that surrounds nerves called "myelin" which has a high fatty content.  These completely regrow and sensation will return.  As one of the largest centers in South Florida, I have never had a patient with permanent nerve damage.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon