Is Compression Bra Required? It's Bruising Me (photo)

I am going to call my Dr's office but wanted to ask for some add'l medical input. My doc gave me a compression bra; on post-op instructions insisted I wear it for a month. I'm on day 6 recovery &the pain is bad to wear it. 3 days ago I took it off & showered & saw these huge bruises exactly where the bra lays ag. my fold. I fear if I don't wear the bra my breasts will sage & not heal well; but wearing it is excruciating. What should I do for bruising & can I stop wearing the bra? Very worried.

Compression Garments Causing Pain

+1

Hello. Compression and support are important for the recovery process after breast augmentation. With that being said, the bra should not cause significant bruising and pain. I recommend that my patients wear a good sports bra that will provide compression and support, but is also comfortable. You should consult your doctor about changing bras and other possible causes for your pain.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Is compression bra required after augmentation?

+1

If you were given a compression bra that causes excruciating pain, that cannot be good. Pain is a warning that something is not right. Either the bra is too small, or you have a hematoma around the implants. Need to call your doctor to be seen and evaluated in person. Looking at your photos, the bruising is most likely from surgery. Your skin is tight, the nipple to inframammary fold distance is short and tight. You will not sag without a bra. Matter of fact, your implants need to come down or settle as the lower pole of the breasts gets stretched. I personally, never place any of my patients in a bra after a first time augmentation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Post op garments whould not be excruciating.

+1

Give your doctor a call right away.  Compression garments should never be excruciating.  My guess is that he/she will get you into a larger bra and your current bra may be fine in a few weeks once your swelling has gone down.  Your bruising is likely from the surgery and not from your bra.  Good luck.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

+1

You need to be seen immediately to evaluate if you are having more than inferior bruising! Especially after 6 days the bruise is not due to the bra effect. PLEASE seek in person care ASAP. 

Compression Bra Concerns…

+1

You are doing the right thing by following up with your plastic surgeon. It is very likely that he/she will suggest the use of a larger, more comfortable bra.  These devices are not meant to be  “excruciating”… You will find that the bruising/swelling will subside with time.

Best wishes with the remainder of your recovery.

Compression bra

+1

It is unlikely that the bra is causing the bruising.  This area of your breasts develop bruising as the blood is drawn down by gravity during the healing process.  The bra feels tight due to swelling along your rib cage.  If the bra is too tight, an extender can be used to give you a bit more room, but the bra is necessary to prevent bottoming out during the early phases of healing.  Discuss this with your doctor's office.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Is Compression Bra Required? It's Bruising Me

+1

It should not be so uncomfortable. It may be that it is too small, but there could be other reasons for the discomfort, and your surgeon may wish to see you.

Do call the office for advice, plan on getting a larger bra.l

Thanks for the question, best wishes.