If I keep my contacts in while using Latisse, does it make it less effective or not work at all?

My doctor never told me that I should remove my contacts when applying latisse. Both my ophthalmologist and dermatologist did not mention this. Does this mean that the Latisse was being absorbed into the contact rather than into my eyelashes? Have I been religiously putting Latisse in for no reason whatsoever?

Latisse and Contacts

+2
Thank you for your question. You should not be putting Latisse in your eye, Latisse should be applied to the brush and painted across your top lash line on the skin. You should only be putting one drop on each brush which is not enough product to get into the eye. If you are following proper application instructions you should see results and you shouldnt have to take your contacts out before putting it on. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and contacts

+2
Many people keep contacts in for a month or so at a time, making it pretty much impossible to remove them for Latisse application. This is just fine. As long as you are applying Latisse correctly - which is along the upper lash line only - then none of it should be going into your eyes anyway. If, by chance, you apply too much and some drips into your eye, then it would be best to remove your contact and flush your eye out. But no, you don't HAVE to remove your contacts in order to apply Latisse.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Using Latisse with contacts

+2
Latisse is applied to the outer lash line skin - not placed in the eyes. You should not be using so much that the product would drip into your eyes. As long as Latisse comes into contact with your lash base, you should see results over time.

The best time to apply Latisse is at night before bed.

Nasrin Mani, MD
La Jolla Ophthalmologist

Can adversely affect lenses

+1
The key is to wait about 15 minutes after applying Latisse before re-inserting as this gives the product enough time to dry. The product can adversely affect your lenses, which is why they should be removed before application. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Wearing your contact lenses will not alter the effectiveness of Latisse.

+1
Wearing your contact lenses will not alter the effectiveness of Latisse. Administer the product as directed.

In some literature you may read to remove contact lenses in case the product is accidently placed in the eye. In which case you would have to flush the eye out with water / normal saline to remove product. When flushing the eye it would be best without the contact.

Apply as directed and you will be fine.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Latisse with contacts

+1
If you are applying Latisse properly, Latisse should not at all effect your contact lenses.  I suggest my patients place a drop of the Latisse in the lid of the container, dip the brush in the lid, and then swipe the brush across the upper lash line.  I find this application results in decreased product loss and a better application.  If Latisse is applied in this manner to the upper lash line, it should not drip into the eye or on your contacts.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Latisse and Contact Lenses

+1

No, as long as you are applying Latisse correctly, it should not interfere with wearing your contact lenses.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have Latisse.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

+1
As long as you are applying Latisse in the correct manner (to the top of the eyelash line, and not on the actual eye) you should not have any problems keeping your contacts in. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Latisse and contact lenses

+1
That I will trials are performed with Latisse were executed in the absence of contact lenses.  The labeling for this product therefore indicates that contact lenses should not be worn when the pieces applied.  From a practical standpoint, it is best to avoid getting Latisse into the eye for multiple reasons.  If you wear contact lenses, in my opinion it is okay to use Latisse with your lenses in but I would take care to avoid getting a product and your eyes.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon