Is this yellow layer normal? I had a breast reduction and the nipple isn't healing a wk later. I use Silvadine daily (Photo)

I am 5 weeks post op, I don't see my PS for another week. I just want to make sure my healing is going in the right direction. Also there is a putrid smell coming from underneath the breast at the T incision area. However, there are no symptoms of infection. Just the smell. I change my dressing at least twice a day to clear out the smell, but it seeps through my clothing. I have been using Silvadine for two weeks now. Is this part of the process?

+2
It appears as a complication of N/A necrosis. This SHOULD be followed very closely, like every other day by your surgeon! 

Yellow around nipple after breast reduction - is this normal?

+1
Thank you very much for your enquiry and photograph, I must say the lower aspect of your nipple does look a little pale and I think it would be worthwhile scheduling a consultation with your plastic surgeon just so that they can assess this.

It is very important at this stage to have the right dressings for the area to ensure that everything heals as well as possible.

I wish you the best of luck with this and hope the area heals well.

Best wishes

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Poor healing

+1
You are  having abnormal healing at this point. The smell is from unhealthy tissue. This tissue needs to be removed to promote healthy healing. You'll end up with a deformity of your  areola but this can be revised at a later date. I would not wait a week to see your plastic surgeon. You need to call him or her now to be seen.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD D.D.S. FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Yellow is not normal

+1
when healing.  You have some compromised areola that is sloughing.  It will heal but there will be some scarring.  Let your surgeon know and listen to the plan for management and follow advice.  Its a known risk of reductions and you need to focus on healing and enjoying your new size and look.  Once you are healed, you can discuss whatever concerns you have about how the area heals and see what option may be available to you.  As for the drainage at the 'T', you need to be evaluated for a possible infection.

Curtis Wong, MD

Nipple healing issues

+1
If you have a putrid smell, then you probably have a wound infection.  Silvadene, while a topical antibiotic, may not be sufficient and you may need dressing changes, debridement or oral antibiotics.  I would encourage you to see your plastic surgeon sooner so the fluid discharge can be cultured.  

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Is this yellow layer normal? I had a breast reduction and the nipple isn't healing a wk later. I use Silvadine daily

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.The open wound problem that you are experiencing does occur occasionally after this procedure. Generally speaking, these areas go on to heal without long-term sequelae. Sometimes, if the scar is wider in this area, scar revision surgery may be helpful.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Occasionally, there is an offending suture or unhealthy tissue that needd to be removed to allow for wound healing to complete its course.