Is It Okay to Clean Dried Blood Inside Nose a Day After Rhinoplasty?

I just had my rhinoplasty done yesterday and my doctor didn't put in any packing because he said that there was very minimal bleeding and it would make me more comfortable. So because of this, I had quite a bit of discharge and now that the bleeding has stopped, I have a lot of dried up blood inside my nostril. I've read that you can clean with hydrogen peroxide and water but I was wondering if the day after rhinoplasty is too soon to clean it? I don't want to injure anything in my nose...

Cleaning up the day after rhinoplasty

The first day after rhinoplasty can be a bit messy. We too rarely place nasal packing and rely on a 'drip' dressing until the nose settles down. Clean soaks under the nose are fine, though stay well on the outside. The risk is bleeding, or aggravating swelling which can alter your result. Rest for a few days, clean up on the outside. Dab drainage or use a drip dressing for a few more days, and saline sprays can be used after the first week.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Dried blood after rhinoplasty

Follow the post operative guidelines given to you by your surgeon.  In my practice, I let patients clean up to the tip of a q-tip inside their nostril (only very gently) with diluted hydrogen peroxide and encourage saline nasal spray to wash out the scabs and crusts.  Having ooze and drainage for a few days after rhinoplasty surgery is typical.  I rarely use packing because I don't find it necessary and feel that it only serves to torment patients.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

16918 Dove Canyon Road
San Diego, CA 92127

This could cause recurrent bleeding...

It’s not unusual for patients to develop dried blood and crusting within their nasal passages following rhinoplasty surgery.When this situation arises, patients are uncomfortable because they can’t breathe through their noses.For this reason, patients are always eager to remove dried blood, crusting and scabbing from their nasal airway.
In the immediate post-operative period efforts to remove dried blood can result in recurrent bleeding and disruption of the wound.It’s therefore important to avoid this type of activity for 2 to 3 days following surgery.During this period of time, the external nostrils can be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, but the internal nostrils should be left alone.
After one week it’s appropriate to irrigate the nasal passage with saline solution.In many cases, your surgeon will remove dried blood and scabs under direct vision.
Each patient’s situation is slightly different.For this reason, it’s important to discuss your situation with your plastic surgeon.Your plastic surgeon should be able to provide appropriate direction to deal with this problem.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Cleaning the inside of the nose one day after a rhinoplasty

It is best to follow your surgeons instructions first. It is acceptable to place saline on a Q-tip up inside the nose in the first few days after the procedure to help with crusts.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

You can clean the area and should follow your surgeon's advice on how he/she likes this to be done.  The most important issue to be very careful and gentle.  Best wishes.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Cleaning the nose

I don't want to interfere with our surgeon's usual regimen.  Everyone does it a bit differently. His/her post op instructions are probably pretty specific.  What we do is have you clean the inside of the nostrils with a 1/2 strength peroxide solution on a q-tip three times daily, followed by some saline spray and mupurocin ointment.  The q-tip goes gently and just barely inside the nostril  My nurse shows our patients how to do this on the first day after surgery.  Hope this helps. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01608

Cleaning nose

Yes you can. I typically see all my patients on their first post op day to show them how to clean the dried blood from their nostrils. You want to get rid of the dry crusts which clog you up but not start new bleeding. Saline spray can help as well.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1515 North Flagler Dr.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Cleaning the nose after rhinoplasty

Yes. Patients should clean their nose after surgery. Use Q-tips and hydrogen peroxide several times a day. You can use water but its not as good. It will take several cleaning before all the mucous and dried blood have been removed. It gets easier every day as the amount of nasal discharge diminishes, you become more confident and the initial crusts are finally all removed. The riskof moving the nose and causing it to change its shape are very minimal and a reasonable person isn't going to be so aggressive.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

2349 Queen Street East
Toronto , ON M4E1H2

Post Rhinoplasty Cleaning

The best thing would be to gently clean the area with a Qtip dipped in saline (salt water). Place a small amount of antibiotic ointment, such as Bacitracin,  in the nostril twice a day. The moisture from the ointment helps loosen present scabbing and prevents new scabs from forming.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

150 East 61st Street
New York, NY 10065

Best not to touch inside of nose after Rhinoplasty

Without specific instructions from your surgeon, it's best that you not place q tips or anything else inside your nose in an attempt to clean it right after a Rhinoplasty.  You could disrupt stitches or cause a nose bleed.  Better that you go have one of the nurses clean out your nose and give you specific post Rhinoplasty cleaning instructions.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211