Can chin implants postpone saggy skin caused by aging?

Me and my dad both have a weak chin. The skin underneath my jawline and chin is still taut. My dad however has tons of loose skin and fat around his neck and under the chin. I don't want this to happen to me. I'm afraid just keeping my weight down won't be enough. Will a chin implant postpone skin saginess?

Saggy Neck Skin

+2
A chin implant will tighten mild to moderate neck skin in younger patients, but heredity will always win out, so with excess skin in an older individual, facelift is the only answer.  Young patients that undergo chin implant and submental liposuction can have nice changes.  You can't worry too much about future aging, it will happen and when it does, you deal with it.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia

Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Won't postpone aging

+2
While placement of a chin implant won't postpone aging, it can add appropriate strength to your lower jaw (if that is what is needed).  This can, in turn, camouflage some early aging features such as  excess tissue under or on the side of the jaw.  See a qualified surgeon with a lot of experience with both implants and cosmetic surgery to get your best opinion.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants and Loose Neck Skin

+2
A chin implant won't postpone loose skin per se but increased chin projection in a more recessed chin may make it less noticeable. In older patients with loose neck skin right under the chin, a significant chin augmentation can pick up a little loose submental skin. All jawline augmentations, if significant, recruit skin from the neck to acquire their soft tissue coverage.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1
Chin implant can produce a very nice change for you and improve facial balance if you have a weak chin.  Some of the skin envelope is taken up with this approach.

Chin implant

+1
The chin implant will not prevent neck skin laxity in the future. It is often used when correcting the neck with a patient with both chin weakness and neck laxity. Donald R. Nunn MD,DDS Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Chin implant improving the neck

+1
Short answer to your question - maybe.  Chin surgery can improve the appearance of a neck, especially when done with neck liposuction.  Take a look at the two patients with genioplasties on profile gallery in realself.  That will help you understand.  Can it prevent future sagging, perhaps.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+1
A chin implant will not postpone skin sagging.  If your chin is receding, a chin implant will improve your profile while giving you a refreshed look.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Chin implant will not postpone saggy skin

+1
It is important to have a solid bony foundation for the skin and soft tissues of the face to drape over. A chin implant is a procedure to increase the projection of the front part of the mandible to help with facial balance. A chin implant does not postpone saggy skin.

Can chin implants postpone saggy skin caused by aging

+1
The purpose of the chin implant is to provide projection to the chin on profile.  Although it will take up a  bit of skin, it may not help with 'tons of loose skin and fat' under the chin.  If your chin is receded, a chin implant will help.