Chin Implant or Fat Transfer?

I'm contemplating between chin implant and fat transfer to the chin. But, I'm confused between the two options, as to which one is better aesthetically and more lasting, also, which one gives a more natural result? If chin Implant is a better option then what kind of chin Implant is a better one in the market? Thanks in advance.

Chin Implant or Fat Transfer

+3

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat grafting.

The only setting in which I currently use a solid facial implant is for chin implant augmentation. Some patients with a 'weak' chin profile can be adequately improved by structural fat grafting alone. However, when the chin protrusion needs to be enhanced by a half centimeter or more, a chin implant is absolutely required. I prefer to use a soft, flexible, anatomic chin implant that conservatively enhances the anterior projection of the chin in profile. The chin implant is placed through an incision hidden underneath the chin, an area where many people already have a scar from a fall in childhood.

Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/facialimplants.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+2

Although soft tissue injection, including autolagous fat can help improve volume temporarily, they can resorb unevenly, migrate with inaccurate injection and harden or fibrose. If you are going through fat grafting for other areas, it may be good choice but I prefer a well placed chin implant. It doesn't take long to place and results are likely permanant and symmetric with good contour.

Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

+2

If done well, either will give you a natural appearing result.  However, a chin implant is more predictable and lasting.

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillsfacialplastic.com

Chin implant or fat??

+2

No question to this one--chin implant lasts forever, gives a better more predictable result and has no lumps or bumps, etc. See an experienced surgeon and you should be very happy with the results of an implant. 

Chin Implant or Fat Transfer? Chin Implant

+2

The beautiful thing about a well placed chin implant is that it will never change in size, and results are very consistent.  I most commonly use the Mittleman extended pre-jowl inmplant made out of silastic. Fat transfer allows for transplantation of fat cells from one area of the body (abdomen, outer thighs) to another.  Consistency of results has always been a concern with fat transfer. Secondly, the grafted fat cells will carry with them their native characteristics as far as expansion of contraction with weight loss and gain.  The amount of fat required to achieve a meaningful augmentation will put a patient in a category whereby the result could change with fluctuations in weight.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

+1

A chin implant can cause some bone erosion, and fat grafting can lose volume if not successful.  Both are risky in some ways.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant vs Fat Transfer

+1

I would agree that a chin implant is a much better way of increasing your chin projection, and there are several reasons for this. For one, an implant provides for an easier means to get facial symmetry.  Secondly, it is a relatively quick procedure with very little down time.  Lastly, Fat Transfer has a variable degree of success after each treatment. A chin implant comes in different sizes so the patient can choose often times which one looks the best. I perform these routinely under local anesthetic in the office. A sizer is placed and the patient with a mirror can determine the best implant for them.

Fat Transfer is a terrific method for dealing with loss of volume to the cheeks, lower eyelids and lips and deep wrinkle lines on the face.

Web reference: http://stlcosmeticsurgery.com/

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant vs Fat Grafting

+1

Although I fat grafting is one of my procedures of choice, in a young patient with an isolated chin issue I would opt for the chin implant.  While I agree that there are risks to every procedure, the chin implant is straightforward, long lasting and predictable.  If it is for aging face concerns and fat grafting is being done to other areas of the face I might be tempted to just proceed with fat grafting to the chin as well.  Good luck!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation with Silicone Implant or fat

+1

Most plastic surgeons will recommend a silicone chin implant. The implant will last forever and more likely to provide a more predictable result. Fat grafts, while a good option for facial plastic surgery, is not ideal to augment the chin. I don't know of any plastic surgeon performing chin augmentation with fat. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/facial-sculpting.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant versus fat grafting to chin

+1

Chin implant is a better way to augment the chin in my opinion. I'm a firm believer in fat transfer for other areas of the face, but it's difficult to get significant augmentation in that area with fat alone. Implants also give more predictable results in this region.

The most commonly used chin implant is made of solid silicone, though other materials are available as well.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/chin-augmentation