Do Chemical Peels Help Treat Rosacea?

Chemical peel may worsen your rosacea

+1

Chemical peels are good for causing an exfoliation of the skin. They work best in patients that do not have sensitive skin. Patients with rosacea usually have sensitive skin and the rosacea can be worsened with use of chemical peels. It would be best for you to see a qualified dermatologist. Good luck.

No. Chemical peels are not ideal for rosacea.

+1

There is no chemical peel that is good for rosacea. Rosacea is primarily due to possible faulty regulation of the blood vessels of the face, leaving them dilated and producing the characteristic redness. There are other hypothesized factors, but none have been proven as a definite cause. Over time, there are telangiectasias (permanent tiny blood vessels), and other signs of rosacea (acne, rhynophyma) that may occur.

Chemical peels work by removing the top layer of the skin (epidermis) and sometimes remove the second layer (dermis). The blood vessels are in the second layer and chemical peels do absolutely nothing to target them or remove them. A chemical peel is the wrong choice for rosacea.

To get the best treatment for your rosacea, you can do antibiotics, topical creams/gel, and laser. Currently, laser seems to the best solution for most rosacea, especially the Vbeam laser or the IPL.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Chemical peels and Rosacea

+1

People with Rosacea tend to have sensitive skin. Chemical peels can help with Rosacea, but I would only recommend very light peels. Anything deeper than a light chemical peel can cause increased and prolonged redness and greater skin sensitivity.

My preference for treating Rosacea is a combination of prescription medications and the IPL/fotofacial to reduce redness, inflammation and the small blood vessels frequently associated with Rosacea.

I would consult with your dermatologist to discuss which treatments might be appropriate for you.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Chemical peel often makes rosacea worse - Not recommended

+1

Definitely not. Rosacea skin is very sensitive. Acids, be it Salicylic Acid, Glycolic acid, trichloracetic acid (TCA), would all tend to flare up rosacea, as would the acetone or alcohol that is used in the prep.

Anything which causes the blood vessels to react, i.e. quickly dilate, will make it worse. I personally have seen Rosacea flares after patients went to "medical" spas for chemical peels.

Intense Pulse Light (IPL) would be a far more prudent choice.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Chemical Peel and Rosacea

+1

No, chemical peels actually increase inflammation in the skin.  Patients with Rosacea have extremely sensitive skin and cannot tolerate the extra exfoliation caused by a chemical peel.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon