How Often Should I Have Chemical Peel?

Is it bad to do a chemical peel once a month?

Frequency of chemical peels

+1

Assuming you are referring to light chemical peels, they are safe to do monthly.  I prefer having an interval of at least 2-3 weeks between peels to allow full epidermal healing.   

San Diego Dermatologist

Depends on the peel

+1

Not all chemical peel agents or formulations of such are the same. Peels are divided as very superficial, superficial, medium and deep. Very superficial peels such as retinoids (Retin-A) or glycolic acid 5-10% can be used daily and at times can be found in OTC formulations such as Neostrata or Glytone cleansers.

Superficial peels such as salicylic acid and the higher concentration glycolics are usually administered every 4-6 weeks. Medium peels such as TCA 30 + Jessner's can be given every 6 months or so. Deep phenol peels are a once in a lifetime ordeal or once every few years or so.

My current regimen when it comes to peels puts the first 3 in together with the medium peel an option but not a must. It important to assess the patient and see what they want to achieve with a peel. In all proper use of sun protection and emollients is key to achieve success with any peel and is eually important than the peel itself.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist