How Often Should I Have Chemical Peel?

Is it bad to do a chemical peel once a month?

Chemical Peel frequency

Thank you for your question!
Peels can be done every four to six weeks.
The different peels we offer at my office...
Alpha Beta Professional Peels:patented formulas use a blend of acids at low concentrations to deliver maximum benefits without irritation, dryness, or flaking.
• Frequency: Every 4 to 6 weeks.
• Downtime: None
• Available in: Original, Extra strength & Clinical strength

Retinol Peels: Our deeper peels—which also go by names like the vitamin A peel or retinoic acid peel—deliver a stronger concentration of acid, followed by a high dose of retinol, or vitamin A, to maximize ingredient penetration and absorption of the anti-aging actives.
• Frequency: A few times a year
• Downtime: 5 to 7 days
• Available in: Universal, Intermediate & Advanced

TCA Peel: The deepest peel in our arsenal; it can only be performed by physicians as it contains powerful but effective trichloroacetic acid to deliver intense treatment—and results.
• Frequency: Once every 5+ years
• Downtime: Up to 2 weeks

Body Peels: Great for treating body acne, aging skin, hyperpigmentation, and textural roughness.
• Frequency Every 4 to 6 weeks
• Alpha Beta® Body Peel Light peel – Downtime None
• Retinol Peel for Body Deep peel – Downtime 5 to 7 days

Peel frequency

It all depends on the depth of the peel and your concern. Usually, you can expect once every two to four weeks, with lighter peels being more frequent.

Frequency of chemical peels

Assuming you are referring to light chemical peels, they are safe to do monthly.  I prefer having an interval of at least 2-3 weeks between peels to allow full epidermal healing.   

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Depends on the peel

Not all chemical peel agents or formulations of such are the same. Peels are divided as very superficial, superficial, medium and deep. Very superficial peels such as retinoids (Retin-A) or glycolic acid 5-10% can be used daily and at times can be found in OTC formulations such as Neostrata or Glytone cleansers.

Superficial peels such as salicylic acid and the higher concentration glycolics are usually administered every 4-6 weeks. Medium peels such as TCA 30 + Jessner's can be given every 6 months or so. Deep phenol peels are a once in a lifetime ordeal or once every few years or so.

My current regimen when it comes to peels puts the first 3 in together with the medium peel an option but not a must. It important to assess the patient and see what they want to achieve with a peel. In all proper use of sun protection and emollients is key to achieve success with any peel and is eually important than the peel itself.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist