Would Exercise Help Tighten Loose Chest Skin After Weight Loss? (photo)

I lost over 80 pounds in the past 2 years which left me with loose skin especially around my stomach and chest. I've already went through with a tummy tuck operation with happy results but decided not to go with the chest lift because of the noticeable scaring with my shirt off. I'm now considering the surgery but before I do I'd like to know if weight lifting would help tighten up the skin around my chest and make it look less "man boobish". Any advice or own experience would help. Thanks!

Would Exercise Help Tighten Loose Chest Skin After Weight Loss?

Hi MacbookproYo,

Thank you for the post and the photos. Congratulations on losing the weight. Based on the photos, I do not think you will get noticeable skin tightening with exercise alone. Even though you can increase the bulk of your pectoralis muscles with exercise, it would not be enough.  That being said, a physical exam would be necessary to confirm this.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Exercising to increase the bulk of your pectoralis muscles can help take up some of the loose skin.  It may never completely resolve the loose skin issue.  Only surgery will do that.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Skin tightening

Nice job on losing so much weight! Unfortunately, this loose skin can only be dramatically and effectively improved with surgery. 

Would exercise help tightened loose chest skin after weight

Congratulations on your 80 pound weight loss this is a significant accomplishment. Congratulations also on undergoing reconstructive plastic surgery after your weight loss. I think it will be very difficult to exercise your chest and tighten your chest skin. Your chest skin has been distended and then has attempted to recoil. I think it will be very difficult to exercise or coax the skin into contracting more. Also, I think if you developed pectoralis major muscles comparable to bodybuilders, that your breast skin would still hang. Therefore, unfortunately, I would suggest a formal male breast reduction. For the excess breast skin and fat you have shown in your pictures, I would suggest breast skin and fat excision and relocation of the nipple areolar complex. Typically, male breast reduction scars heal very well over time. Compression, silica gel and silicon strips all contribute to a final healthy scar. Congratulations on your weight-loss and good luck on your reconstructive plastic surgery journey.

Sincerely,

Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Surgery, not exercise best solution for loose skin

Exercise indirectly and to a small degree by increasing underlying muscle bulk. You can not exercise skin or return its lost elasticity and therefore you will need to reduce the excess skin for best results. I use a technique as do other plastic surgeons so that the final scar is at the junction of the brown/white border of your areola to camouflage your scars

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Exercise will not tighten skin, and you would have to develop huge pectoral muscles to even begin to fill out the excess skin. 

The surgery can often be done with a circular incision around the areola, and another incision in what is now the breast fold. Although these are visible, they improve over the course of a year, and almost certainly are less unattractive than overhanging tissue that is present. 

Thanks, and best wishes. 

Skin Removal Necessary

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos, skin reduction will be necessary to improve the contour of the chest.  This will require scars on the chest.  With careful scar placement, the natural fading of scars and hair growth on the chest, these scars do well in the long term.  You will feel much better about your hard earned weight loss with improvement in the chest region. Best wishes.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction

exercise will not help, you need surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon and seek his or her advice

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

After weight loss, loose chest skin

Weight lifting will help build muscles but not enough to take up all the loose skin from your weight loss. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in Gynecomastia surgery and ask to see before and after pictures. The scars would not be noticeable as the incisions are around the areola. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Male Breast lift after severe weight loss

First, I would like to commend your on your weight loss! That's a fantastic achievement.

In looking at your pictures, it does not appear that there would be any way to rid yourself of the excess and hanging skin with anything other than a surgical procedure. Unfortunately, the weight lifting won't do it, however it is great exercise, so by all means continue to do it!

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Cangello

David Cangello, MD