Chances of Side Effects from Acne Scar Laser Treatment?

Hello, I understand that hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation are possible side effects of laser treatment. How often does that occur even when a patient takes adequate care such as avoiding wind and sun exposure at all costs?

I also know that redness can remain for months after. I am a male with medium skin tone, make-up cover is not a feasible options. How unnatural does the redness appears? Is it possible that I might not have to be concern for that problem?

Acne scar laser treatment

+1

The side effects of laser treatment for acne really depends on the kind of laser you are considering. The Smooth-beam laser for example may only give you mild redness for a day or two, while the fractionated CO2 and Erbium YAG lasers can cause significant redness and crusting, with prolonged redness for weeks. If down-time is not acceptable for you, I would consider a non-ablative treatment such as the fraxel re:store, with minimal down-time or a non-laser option such as saline subcision.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist