What Can I Expect From Capsulectomy Recovery?

Scheduled capsulectomy/right fold lowering on 10-13.I will have a drain put in & expect to have it in for min. 5 days.what can i expect to feel from the drain being there - pain?annoyance?is recovery from revision much more difficult?i am a photographer & have a wedding to photograph 9 days post op-after initial implant placement i went back to work 6 days post op,no real issues.is this a reasonable amount of time for recovery for 2nd procedure?any advice on what to expect post-op is appreciated

Capsulectomy recovery.

+1

Post-Operative Healing following Capsulectomy varies from patient to patient.Below are some generalizations.
Patients will feel sore and tired during the first 48 to 72 hours following surgery.  During these first few days, the patient should engage in light activities, refraining from lifting or raising the arms above the head.

Swelling and bruising will subside during the first week after surgery and will be controlled by pain medication.  The initial dressings will be removed a few weeks after surgery during a post operative visit.  Patients typically may return to a work a few days after surgery (only a light workload during the first two weeks).

Recovery after capsulectomy

+1

Recovery after capsulectomy is much like that after breast augmentation, though often the discomfort is less as the submuscular pocket causes the most soreness and is already present. We don't understand the drain and don't use one. If the breast pocket is dry as the implant is replaced the drain only seems a potential two way street for contamination of the implant.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

What Can I Expect From Capsulectomy Recovery? Are 9 days Sufficient?

+1

The majority of discomfort after breast Augmentation is related to the creation of the pocket for the implant, the skin stretching by the implant and a small amount to the short skin incision. In your case, I am assuming your surgeon will use the same incision, the implant will be removed, the majority of the scar tissue (Capsule will be peeled off along with the implant, the new implant pocket will then be washed with antibiotic solution, a small drain will be placed and exited in the arm pit to hide the scar (and will be mildly annoying for a few days), another implant will be placed and the incision closed. The recovery will be much easier than the first operation. I would recommend you wear bra support immediately to minimize making the pocket larger by implant movement as well as decrease fluid creation. By 9 days, the drain will be out and you should be able to shoot the wedding.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Capsulectomy Recovery

+1

As you can imagine every patient responds differently to surgical procedures. However,  based on the description of recovery after your first operation,  I would anticipate a relatively painless recovery for you  after capsulectomy  surgery.  I also think that your plan in regards to return to work is reasonable.

The use of a drain after capsulectomy is quite common. Usually it is more an annoyance than a pain  issue. 

Please do  run these questions by your surgeon is well since he/she knows your situation best and can  give you a more accurate estimation of recovery time.