What Does Capsular Contracture Pain Feel Like?

I have pain in my left breast that feels like needles are poking around in there. I have silicone implants. Is this a normal feeling? Is this capsular contracture? My surgery was done 6 months ago.

Possible for it to be capsular contracture

+2

Capsular contracture is progressive tightening / hardening of the breast related usually to silicone implants, although it can happen with saline filled implants as well. A feeling of "needles" six months after implant surgery may indeed be the nerves healing afterward. It might not be contracture. You need to see your surgeon for guidance here.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

If you have capsules, you will know it

+2

Capsules are not always painful - but they turn nice soft breasts into ones that feel like there is a tennis ball inside. Capsules make the implants take on a spherical shape and feel hard.

If you are worried see your doctor.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Nerves are waking up.

+2

What you are experiencing sounds more like the sensory nerves recovering from you surgery. If your implant is firming up or is starting to ride higher on your chest, this is a better indication of a capsular contracture. Try anti-inflammatories like Advil for now and see your plastic surgeon.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Very difficult to say

+2

Hi there-

Without examining you and knowing a few more details, it would be very difficult to say what might be causing your pains.

I would suggest you visit your surgeon and describe your problem to them. After an exam, they'll be much better able to give you information and advice.

In the meantime, I would continue to massage your implants periodically.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Doesn't Sound Like Capsular Contracture

+1
Capsular contracture involves scarring and tightening around the implant, causing the breast to feel firm and sometimes look abnormally round or elevated. However, it sounds like you're feeling something different. What you're feeling may be renewed nerve sensation. To confirm, please see your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

What does capsular contracture pain feel like?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Physical examination will determine if you have capsular contracture. The look and feel of hardness surrounding your implant is seen and/or felt.  At its worst, you experience pain. It may also cause distortion of your breast. What has caused it will be in question.  At 6 months Postop,it could simply be your nerves regenerating. 

Your surgeon will likely recommend implant massage and may add the medication Singulair. If these fail, surgical correction may be suggested. It is a matter of surgeon preference as well as what is seen during your procedure that will determine whether or not a complete capsulectomy is performed. If significant capsule formation is seen intraoperatively, a full capule removal may be warranted with a drain in order to completely remove all of the tissue and allow better adherence of your breast back to its normal anatomic position down on your chest wall. Irrigating with certain medications may also be if benefit. If minimal contracture is seen, it may be possible to leave the capsule, or place cuts within the capsule to allow better adherence. It truly is dependent on what is seen with your capsule and the issues that may be causing you to have such a procedure (e.g., contracture from rutptured implant vs pain vs simple pocket adjustment, etc).

Without knowing your issues and without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what may be the best thing for you. I tend to favor performing capsulectomies in order to create a fresh pocket, reshape the pocket, allow better shape and adherence of the overlying breast. I would discuss your issues with your plastic surgeon who will assist you in determining the right modality for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Capsular contracture around the breast implant can cause pain and a constricted tight feeling

+1

Thank you for your question. The main symptom of capsular contraction around a breast implantis the sensation of tightening. However with significant Contraction This Tightening Can Also Cause Pain Which Can Vary from Just a Constrictive Feeling to Sharp Electric-like Sensations. Please See Your Plastic Surgeon for Evaluation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Signs of Capsular Contracture

+1

Thank you for your question.  Capsular Contracture is one of the main risks of breast augmentation.   Classic signs are:
1.  hardness/tightness of the implant
2.  change in implant position (typically migrates towards the collarbone)
3.  increased pain and stiffness on the associated side.
Based on your description, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation of capsular contracture.    If present, I would recommend a capsulectomy (removal of scar tissue) and implant exchange.  
Factors to consider:
1.  If your implants are above your muscle, you may want to consider switching to underneath the muscle, which lessens the risk of capsular contracture.
2.  If your implants are above the muscle and you desire to keep them there, you may benefit from the use of a textured implant.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD