Should I Have Scar Revision Surgery Post Benelli Mastopexy--what Do You Advise? (photo)

11 months ago I had a Benelli mastopexy for my tuberous breasts. Quite a lot of stretching of the areolas occurred, which I can live with, however--I'd like to know what the chances are of a satisfactory result if I have scar revision on my left breast (only)? The scar and surrounding skin at the top looks rather uneven and pleated compared to the natural look my right one has. I don't want further stretching to occur. What do you advise? Also, would a crescent lift type revision be an option?

Should I Have Scar Revision Surgery Post Benelli Mastopexy--what Do You Advise

+1

It would be helpful to see a photo of the other areola before making a recommendation. If the other side has none of the issues that you note, and if both areolas were about the same size before surgery, I would be inclined to think you are likely to have an improvement. Consider posting a photo showing both breasts. Thanks, best wishes.

Scar Revisions after Breast Lift

+1

Scar Revision after 1 year may appropriate.  There are multiple factors to discuss with your plastic surgeon including How much did the areolae stretch after the first surgery?  Was there asymmetric stretching (right vs left)?  Do you form poor scars in general?  How does the other areola look?

Scar revision using the same technique may not help

+1

It is very important to control the tension or your areaolar spread could even worsen.  You might consider fractional co2 first to just improve the scar appearance.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

+1

A scar revision would be beneficial

I would use the sub-areolar technique where multiple sutures are placed beneath the areola to help reduce stretching

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Areola Revisionary Surgery Indicated?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although, the easy answer is that you will  likely benefit from revisionary surgery, you should definitely consider the potential risks associate with additional surgery. For example, despite best efforts, you may experience continued pigment changes, abnormal scarring, areola asymmetry,  and/or re spreading of the areola.

Ultimately, only you will be able to decide whether the additional surgery is warranted,  based on your level of dissatisfaction currently. One option would be to allow for ongoing time ( for example an additional 6 months to one year),  prior to making this decision.

Benelli areola revision

+1

A revision of the areola may be possible. It is best to review this with your surgeon, so that he may give you the best advice based upon the exam.  Good luck.

Revision?

+1

There always is the possibility of recurrent scarring with revision surgery.  There are certain techniques that a surgeon can use to decrease the scarring though.  See a Board certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Scar revision?

+1

You should weight the benefits versus the risks of revision before undergoing the procedure. Consider that now the skin has stretched a bit and this could recur even with another reduction of the areola. At 11 months post surgery, it might be too early to move forward, but you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Aldo Guerra, MD