Wound Separation After Stitches Removed? (photo)

Had my stitches removed after 2 weeks. That evening I had experienced separation. The PS office said to do a wet to dry twice a day. I am following up in the morning with an appt. after starting the wet to dry it appears the wounds are getting bigger. Could they restitch or use steri strips to reclose or reinforce what is closed. Scared that more will open. Had partial nipple necrosis and an infection earlier on. Infection was cleared with antibiotics. Super depressed. Please help.

Wound Separation after Suture Removal?

+2

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this complication.  The important thing is that you are being followed up by your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to treat the complication.  You should be happy t know that the majority of patients who go through this go on to heal without long term sequeli.

Sometimes, scar revision surgery may be necessary to improve the outcome in the longterm.  During this process, try to stay as emotionally "even keeled" as possible.

Wound separation after breast surgery

+2

This is a frustrating situation for you and I sympathize with you.  This sort of thing can occur after breast surgery for a variety of reasons.  The concept of using moist to dry dressings is a good one.  Mother nature usually does a surprisingly good job of healing areas like this.  Changing the dressings frequently is a big help.  Sometimes it helps to put stitches at the edge of the defect where the incision is intact to help prevent enlargement of the defect, but it would not be good to close the defect at this time.  Stay in frequent contact with your surgeon, as he or she is in the best position to help you.  Best of luck.

John Q. Cook, MD

Wound Separation after Breast Lift

+1

Wound separation is one of the most common issues in a full breast lift, particularly at the T-junction.  Usually this area heals very well.  The openings continue to contract and the scars lighten over the course of a year. 

Breast Lift

+1

It is quite unfortunate that you are in this situation.  WIthout knowing all of the details of your situation, it is difficult to provide a specific treatment regimen.  Seeing your surgeon, as you are doing, is the best thing right now.  

In general, I would take a swab of the area and send it for cultures so that I could target the specific microbe causing your infection.  Until those cultures returned, I would start you on an antibiotic and an antimicrobial based dressing.  I find Acticoat to be a great product as it also decreases inflammation.  Having said that, it is not critical - the antibiotics and basic wound care should get the job done.  At this time, you need to be patient and wait for the wounds to heal and the infection to clear.  I know this is easier said than done, but Time really is your best friend right now.

Please ensure that you are consulting your surgeon regularly during the next few weeks.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Wound issues after breast surgery

+1

Sorry to hear about your situation, but wound separation can occur for several reasons.  Smoking is often a big issue. Local wound care often clears this up.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Wound Separation After Stitches Removed?

+1

Although it may seem counterintuitive, it is usually a bad idea to reclose an incision in this situation because of an unacceptably high incidence of wound infection, requiring reopening the incisions and starting further behind than you are now. 

I am not sure how the infection was diagnosed earlier in your course, but at this stage your surgeon should consider antibiotic treatment based upon cultures of the wounds that you currently have. 

Often, once these are healed, the incisions look no different than if no wound healing issues had occurred. Continue to follow up closely with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Wounds after surgery

+1

Sorry for your difficult post-operative course, I can see you had a reduction or lift.  Factors like smoking, need for significant lifting, large reductions, and  simultaneous placement of implants can increase the likelihood of wound complications. You are doing the right thing to closely follow your surgeon's advice.  I would not put stitches at this point into the wound and I would wait a whole year letting your scars improve before talking about scar revision.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Wound Separation Breast Surgery

+1

Sorry to see you are having some problems.  Usually the best thing to do at this point is control the infection, keep the wounds clean and allow the wounds to heal on their own.  Once fully healed, you will need to wait (your plastic surgeon will let you know) to see how the scars heal.Steri strips or restitching is generally not helpful in this situation. You will get better.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon