Breast Lift (No Implants) - What's the Risk of Losing Nipple Sensation?

I've had 3 PS consults. I understand all surgery carries risks. My last consult told me loss of nipple sensation risk is "50/50". The previous 2 consults did not give such serious odds. So I'm wondering, is this last consult a great Dr, who would rather give me the "worst case scenario" and have me pleased, vs "sugar coat" things and have me very unhappy afterwards, or is this Dr perhaps a "chop shop" doctor, not giving the delicate concern to my end result (and therefore not the best choice)?

+2

There is always a risk of nipples sensation loss or alteration ,following breast lift surgery

The larger the breast ,the greater the degrees of sagging ,the greater the risk of sensation loss

The risk of sensation loss also has to do with the surgical technique

There are three basic techniques , the anchor , the vertical and the circum-areolar 

the circum-areolar with only skin excision carries the lowest risk

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sensation loss after surgery

+2

Each doctor has a good idea of their results so if someone told me a number like 50% I would be a bit worried. I think most doctors have a much lower rate.Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Risk of nipples sensory loss in a breast lift?

+2

Thank you for this question.

Nipple sensory loss is more common in breast augmentation and breast reduction surgery because the nerve that supplies sensation  to the nipple can be in the path where the implant lives or within the tissue that is being removed in a breast reduction.

Most breast lifts, regardless of type are in a much more superficial plane.  Therefore, it is much less likely, but not impossible that the nerve could be injured.

As you embark on this it is always safest to be comfortable with the worst case scenario, but in my own experience it is not likely that nipple sensation will be lost in a routine breast lift.  In a full breast lift it is quite common that the superficial skin will be known for a number of months. This superficial skin sensory loss will usually return.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Risk of Loss of Nipple Sensation with Breast Lift

+2

Change of sensation or loss of sensation of the nipple is a known complication from breast surgery including breast lift.  Understanding the anatomy and performing the surgery properly is key to minimizing this risk.  Fifty percent is extremely high.  If that is the surgeons experience in his practice I would be concerned.  Some women may also experience a slight increase in sensation during the early recovery which then usually goes back to normal. I tell patients there is about a 10% chance they may experience a change in nipple sensation but in practice that number is much lower.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift (no implants) - what's the risk of losing nipple sensation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Lift - Sensory Disturbance

+1

In my patient population, I have about 5 to 10% who report hypersensitivity that resolves over time.   Having numbness is very unusual in my experience.  This may have to do with techniques employed and tissues rearranged.

Loss of sensation after breast lift

+1

Although the technique of the lift influences the risk of loss of sensation to the nipple, the vast majority of patients should retain their normal sensation although there may be a temporary period of numbness. I would not venture a guess as to what each doctor's response reveals about that particular doctor.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Loss of Sensation after Breast Lifting?

+1

As you can imagine,  without direct examination, and knowing exactly what operation is indicated, it is not possible to give you precise advice. Having said that, the risk of permanent loss of sensation with breast lift surgery should be much lower than “50/50”.  When I discuss this risk with patients,  my best estimation is 5 to 10%,  mainly depending on exactly what type of procedure is planned.

Risk of nipple sensory loss after breast lift

+1

The number 50% would be high, based on my experience and virtually all published studies.  Some doctors do indeed give a worst case scenario, and this may be the situation you have experienced with the doctor who quoted this figure.  As to his expertise check his credentials, experience, practice focus, and quality of hospital affiliations.

John Q. Cook, MD