Chemical Peel on Neck and Chest Area

Can I get a chemical peel on my neck and chest?

Chemical peels on the chest

+4

Although I typically avoid the neck during chemical peels, the skin on the chest can be treated either with glycolic acid or a lower percentage TCA peel. Both areas are sensitive and a product like Retin-A can be used on the neck and chest a few times a week, as well. Obagi has developed a specific product for the chest area to treat dark spots and the wrinkles which can result from sun damage.

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CHEMICAL PEELS TO THE NECK AND CHEST AREAS WORK WELL WHEN DONE BY A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN

+3

Chemical peels work well for the neck and chest areas, they just tend to be  lighter peels in order to account for the more sensitive skin in these areas. This will avoid complications, that will occur should a deep peel be used.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

The neck and chest are much more sensitive areas for peels, be careful.

+3

Chemical peels carefully administered by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon can be helpful for neck and chest skin aging and sun damage, but the skin in those areas is surprisingly much more sensitive to damage than the face. Superficial peels gently supervised, and repeated over time, can accumulate improvement, but ongoing diligent sun protection is key to the success of this treatment. Lasers and light-based treatments chosen carefully may be a better choice in this area.

Make sure to only consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for treatments in these sensitive areas.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Chemical Peels on the neck and chest

+3

Chemical peels are a generic term for an exfoliative treatment precipitated by the application of a chemical, usually an acid. The ph and pKa of an acid typically predicts the level and depth of a peel.

Although chemical peels can be safely performed on the neck and chest, deep dermal peels are not indicated for this particular anatomic area.

I routinely perform chemical peels in these areas with great success.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chemical Peels on the neck and chest

+2

Many Chemical Peels are extremely safe on areas of the body other than the face. The category of superficial peels inlcudes glycolic, salicylic, lactic and jessner's. The deeper peels are usually trichloroacetic acid or phenol.

The second category is to be used rarely off of the face and only by highly trained physicians as scarring can result. What you need to know is what chemical is being used, in what concentrations, how long it is applied, how many layers and how far apart are you spacing the treatments. Good luck and stay informed!

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Chemical peels for the chest and neck

+2

Chemical peels can be done on the chest to help lighten the brown spots. Chemical peels can also be performed on the neck but it should be light. make sue you go to an experienced practitioner not all cosmetic doctors perform peels. A peel that is left on to long has a greater chance of deeper penetration and therefore permanent scarring. On the neck scarring can lead to scar contracture which can limit movement.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Pigmentation changes. be careful with peels to the neck

+2

The skin on your neck has a very thin epidermis and dermis. Superficial peels such as Alpha hydroxy (glycolic acid), Jessner's solution, or trichloroacetic acid (10-25%) should be used to prevent hypertrophic scarring more pigmentation changes. Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peels very in depth depending on concentration, skin type, how the skin was prepped, and the method of applying the solution.

The same holds true for the chest area(decollate) although this skin is a little thicker. Ask your physician which type of peel he plans to use.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Chemical peels on the neck

+2

While I do not recomment chemical peels on the neck, there are som pratitionersa who use very mild chemical peels o nt he neck. I will perform mild laser procedures on the neck to tighten the skin and remove sun damage.

Multiple TCA peels tend to do the most for the neck and chest areas

+2

Chemical peels do very well for the neck and chest areas . You have to do a few or multiple ones though. I like the 14% Jessners solution + 15-20% TCA peels for the neck and the 14% Jessners solution + 25-30% TCA peels for the chest. Depending on the amount of sun damage etc..., a patient will often need about 3-4 peels at 2-4 weeks apart. Costs run about $1000-1500 for a neck and chest peel. Aftercare with Retin A , Pravage MD, or Copper creams and sunscreens are very important also.

The peels will get rid of the discolorations and age spots and wrinkles quite well but you still can be left with broken capillaries or a ruddy reddish color from chronic sun exposure call poikyloderma of civatte. This then needs several IPL treatments . I like the Prolite II for this. Cost is roughly $500 per session.

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

A superficial chemical peel can be done on the neck and upper chest

+2

Great care must be exercised when performing a chemical peel of the chest or neck. These areas do not have the regenerative capacity of the face. I typically do a Jessner's type peel on this zone.