Can I Change my Eye Shape?

So far, I have not come across websites that offer to change the shape of the eyes per se. Although blepharoplasty might naturally change the eye shape to some extent (e.g. by making the eye rounder and larger), are there ways to make the eyes more almond shaped, for instance?

Yes, you can change your eye shape

I perform some sort of Blepharoplasty or eye procedure in my practice almost every working day. Asian Eyelid Surgeries are probably the most common in terms of changing the shape of one's eyes. It can indeed open the eye and make it appear larger as well as giving the eye the often sought after "eyelid crease".

Almond eyes, or exotic eyes, are slightly turned up in the outer corners, making them beautifully balanced. This shape is soft and welcoming. Almond eyes are youthful, boasting confidence. Many men and women are blessed with natural almond eyes, but for those who are not, science may intervene.

It is important that a potential patient make sure that he or she is seeking a specialist in this area. Make sure the surgeon is certified and ask to see before and after photos of the surgeon's work.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, you can have almond shaped eyes

It's quite simple to create almond shaped eyes in most people with a canthoplasty. This tightens the corner of the eye, which reduces roundness and creates an almond shape.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I Change my Eye Shape?

Changing the shape of an eye is possible.  This requires more advanced eyelid plastic surgery techniques.  Not all changes are possible nor desirable.  Your example of making the eye more almond shape can be done, however, everyone's anatomy is different and the results are not the same for all eyes.  Some eye shape changes, specifically the round eye that you mentioned, is more often a complication of eyelid surgery then a desired result.  You need to consult with your physician and go through each detail carefully to assure your best outcome.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty can create almond shaped eyes.

Hi.

In general, we try to AVOID changing the shape of the eyes when doing a blepharoplasty.  But in selected cases a canthopexy can create a more almond shaped eye, if that is what is best for the patient.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog...

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog look to the lower lids with a scleral show or ectropion, the shape of the eye should not be altered.

Most patients are not interested in looking like the Cat Woman or changing the shape of their eyelids. The idea behind a blepharoplasty is to maintain the eyelid shape unless there is an overriding functional or aesthetic reason to change the shape.

Eye-openers

Ocassionaly, patients do ask for changes in the shape of the eye. The most common application of surgical techniques to alter eyelid shape is in "asian blepharoplasty" to create or accentuate the upper eyelid crease. This does appear to make the eyes more "open".

A tightening or repositioning of the inner or outer corners of the eyelids will also change the shape of the eyes. These procedures, called canthopexy and canthoplasty, respectively, can change the opening of the eyes and/or the angle of the opening.

Expertly placed botulinum toxin (Botox) can also open the eyelids and change their shape, although the results are temporary, lasting approximately 4 months.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Changing the shape of the eyes

I routinely perform more than 100 Asian eye lid surgeries per year in my practice. The goal of the procedure is to create the double eyelid crease and make eyes rounder and more open. About 25% of these patients also require what is called a medial canthoplasty, where the corder of the eye next to the nose is opened up surgically to give the eyes a more open look.

So the answer to your question is "Yes", although obviously there are limitations to any surgical/medical procedures.

Kun Z. Kim, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Interested in Changing the Shape of you Eyelids

As to the question, "can I change my eye shape?", the answer is certainly "yes."  

An equally important follow-up question is "what about your current eye shape bothers you?"  The "look" of a person's eyes is the result of an interplay between upper eyelids, lower eyelids, eye color, eye brows and even midface.  The cliche is that the eyes are the window to the soul, and while this may be true, the eyeball itself is virtually expressionless and relies on these surrounding structures express itself.  As a result, many opportunities exist to affect a positive change and generate a more youthful, rested appearance, but the best outcome requires an emphasis on this interplay. 

For example, a patient may state that they are concerned about sagging in the upper eyelid, but the problem is actually a descent of the eyebrow with aging.  In such cases, a simple blepharoplasty would address the extra eyelid skin, but would not generate a noticeably youthful look.  For such patients, its best instead to combine the upper lid blepharoplasty with a brow lift.  

On the other hand, the most common reason that individuals seek eyelid surgery is because of the shape of the upper eyelid (with excess skin and fat causing the upper lid to look tired). A simple upper lid blepharoplasty is appropriate for such a patient. A related operation (called double eyelid surgery) can also be performed for "westernization" of an eyelids that lack a crease in the eyelid.  Both instances benefit from a more target approach.

All this to say, give some thought to what is bothersome about your eyelid shape, and ask a trusted surgeon to place this in the context of your unique anatomy.  Cheers.

Jeffrey Cone, MD

Can I change my eye shape?

The best way to make the eyes more almond shape is to have a canthopexy procedure. The lower lid is detached in the outside corner and then reattached slightly higher. This moves the lower lid up so it sags less.  If you decide to have this procedure I would recommend an oculoplastic surgeon as they performs this regularly in their practice.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial Plastic Surgery or Cosmetic Surgery to Change Shape of Eyes

A patient needs to have realistic expectations when attempting to address eye shape. Canthopexy can help make the eyes more almond shaped, but the patient must be a candidate. Consult in person with three experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS