Can I Change my Eye Shape?

So far, I have not come across websites that offer to change the shape of the eyes per se. Although blepharoplasty might naturally change the eye shape to some extent (e.g. by making the eye rounder and larger), are there ways to make the eyes more almond shaped, for instance?

Yes, you can change your eye shape

+5

I perform some sort of Blepharoplasty or eye procedure in my practice almost every working day. Asian Eyelid Surgeries are probably the most common in terms of changing the shape of one's eyes. It can indeed open the eye and make it appear larger as well as giving the eye the often sought after "eyelid crease".

Almond eyes, or exotic eyes, are slightly turned up in the outer corners, making them beautifully balanced. This shape is soft and welcoming. Almond eyes are youthful, boasting confidence. Many men and women are blessed with natural almond eyes, but for those who are not, science may intervene.

It is important that a potential patient make sure that he or she is seeking a specialist in this area. Make sure the surgeon is certified and ask to see before and after photos of the surgeon's work.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes, you can have almond shaped eyes

+5

It's quite simple to create almond shaped eyes in most people with a canthoplasty. This tightens the corner of the eye, which reduces roundness and creates an almond shape.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I Change my Eye Shape?

+2

Changing the shape of an eye is possible.  This requires more advanced eyelid plastic surgery techniques.  Not all changes are possible nor desirable.  Your example of making the eye more almond shape can be done, however, everyone's anatomy is different and the results are not the same for all eyes.  Some eye shape changes, specifically the round eye that you mentioned, is more often a complication of eyelid surgery then a desired result.  You need to consult with your physician and go through each detail carefully to assure your best outcome.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty can create almond shaped eyes.

+2

Hi.

In general, we try to AVOID changing the shape of the eyes when doing a blepharoplasty.  But in selected cases a canthopexy can create a more almond shaped eye, if that is what is best for the patient.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog...

+2

Unless patients have a lateral down-turned or hound dog look to the lower lids with a scleral show or ectropion, the shape of the eye should not be altered.

Most patients are not interested in looking like the Cat Woman or changing the shape of their eyelids. The idea behind a blepharoplasty is to maintain the eyelid shape unless there is an overriding functional or aesthetic reason to change the shape.

Eye-openers

+2

Ocassionaly, patients do ask for changes in the shape of the eye. The most common application of surgical techniques to alter eyelid shape is in "asian blepharoplasty" to create or accentuate the upper eyelid crease. This does appear to make the eyes more "open".

A tightening or repositioning of the inner or outer corners of the eyelids will also change the shape of the eyes. These procedures, called canthopexy and canthoplasty, respectively, can change the opening of the eyes and/or the angle of the opening.

Expertly placed botulinum toxin (Botox) can also open the eyelids and change their shape, although the results are temporary, lasting approximately 4 months.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
Scarsdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Changing the shape of the eyes

+2

I routinely perform more than 100 Asian eye lid surgeries per year in my practice. The goal of the procedure is to create the double eyelid crease and make eyes rounder and more open. About 25% of these patients also require what is called a medial canthoplasty, where the corder of the eye next to the nose is opened up surgically to give the eyes a more open look.

So the answer to your question is "Yes", although obviously there are limitations to any surgical/medical procedures.

Kun Z. Kim, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Plastic Surgery or Cosmetic Surgery to Change Shape of Eyes

+1
A patient needs to have realistic expectations when attempting to address eye shape. Canthopexy can help make the eyes more almond shaped, but the patient must be a candidate. Consult in person with three experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Changing the shape of your eye

+1
There are a variety of procedures which suspend the lower eyelid at the outer corner. They fall into the general category of "canthal suspension procedures." These can be done with or without incisions in the outer corners of the eyelids. While they are technically straightforward when performed by an experienced surgeon, canthal issues are some of the most difficult and challenging to address when things go wrong. Please make sure to see a specialist for this kind of procedure.

Good luck to you,
Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD

Lateral Canthopexy

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have specific aesthetic goals when undergoing blepharoplasty surgery.  The vast majority of patients are interested in a more youthful appearance and want to look more rested.  Occasionally patients request changes in the shape of their eye, in an effort to look more exotic.  Examples would include the creation of a double upper eyelid fold in Asians or the creation of an almond shaped eye.

When patients request an almond shaped eye, a simple procedure known as a lateral canthopexy can be performed.  This procedure tightens the corner of the eye and raises its position. 

The majority of patients who undergo this procedure are happy with the results of this maneuver when performed with blepharoplasty.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon