Can I Combine a Blepharoplasty with Lasik in One Surgery?

Can Lasik surgery be combined with eyelid surgery? I would rather only have one surgery but I want both procedures...Would it be hard to find a doctor who can do both?

Lasik Surgery and Blepharoplasty, Raffy Karamanoukian MD

+2

Lasik surgery should not be performed with a blepharoplasty. In fact, patients who have undergone lasik surgery should undergo a more thorough preoperative evaluation if they are contemplating a blepharoplasty at a later time.

During your discussion with your physician, emphasize any visual symptoms including dry eyes, changes in vision, or allergic symptoms prior to any procedure on the eye.

Lasik and Blepharoplasty must take place on separate days

+2

No is the answer and there are many reasons.

For example, when a blepharoplasty is performed, a corneal shield may be placed to protect the eye while sutures are passed through the upper eyelid tissues. It would be inappropriate to place such a shield until approximately one month after LASIK, as it could dislodge the flap if it were placed immediately after LASIK. Also, after a blepharoplasty, it would not be possible to separate the lids with a lid speculum due to significant soft tissue swelling and trauma.

The surgical preparation for each procedure is completely different involving different equipment and surgical staff. It is not only impractical but unwise to consider performing both procedures on the same day.

So, in summary, these procedures should be separated by at least one month.

Joseph W. King, MD
Vancouver Ophthalmologist

+1
Laser refractive surgery aims to improve the refractive properties of an eye by making a flap in the front window (termed cornea) in the eye, followed by laser treatment, the surgery often results in some dryness after the surgery and contact lenses are often placed over the eyes to aid recovery in the short-term period. I recommend that they are not completed on the same day and a minimum of 6 weeks to 3 months interval between the different procedures. 

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would not combine Lasik with eyelid surgery.

+1

I would not recommend combining both procedures.  Both procedures are going to trigger dry eye.  Lasik surgery triggers some amount of irritation and dry eye symptoms.  Lasik patients frequently use artificial tears to combat these symptoms.  Eyelid surgery patients sometimes have temporary lagophthalmos meaning that their eyelids don't close all the way.  This would exacerbate the irritation from the Lasik and delay healing.  Do the Lasik first.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery combined with LASIK

+1
It is not recommended to combine these two surgeries. LASIK surgery treats the cornea and it is important for the cornea to be well lubricated after LASIK in order to heal. Eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty, can lead to dry eye which can complicate your LASIK surgery. Wait at least 3 months after LASIK before eyelid surgery.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I would highly discourage you from having eyelid surgery and LASIK performed at the same time.  There are many reasons for this, but basically I would worry about the cornea.  In fact, after LASIK, I usually recommend that you wait 6 months before eyelid surgery.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lasik and Blepharoplasty, can it be done together?

+1

I do not recommend the two procedures be done at the same time. I usually recommend that my patients wait at least  six months after they have had Lasik to have eye lid surgery or after their ophthalmologist clears them medically.  Patients will often have dryness after Lasik surgery and should be well protected after their surgery.

Carlos Wolf, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasik Before Bleparoplasty

+1

I would definitely suggest the blepharoplasty after Lasik surgery. There is a chance that you can stretch you eyelid during Lasik surgery and need a ptosis repair in addition to a blepharoplasty.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

You cannot combine eyelid surgery with Lasik surgery in one sitting.

+1

It would be imprudent to try to accomplish both operations at the same time.  The eyelid surgery would have to be done second due to the traction needed to perform the Lasik operation.  Manipulation of the lids could jeopardize the corneal repair.

Don't have concurrent Lasik and blepharoplasty

+1

I would not recommend trying to have your Lasik surgery and blepharoplasty at the same time. You should wait at least 3 months after having had Lasik before considering blepharoplasty surgery. You need to make sure that the corneal flap heals. Also, dry eyes during the Lasik healing process would only be worse if you also had a blepharoplasty.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD