Incision Re-open Years Later?

Can an incision re-open years later after surger? If so what would be the cause?

Possible implant exposure years after surgery

+1

It would be very unusual for an incision to open up years after surgery.  For a breast implant I would be concerned about exposure of the implant.  You should be examined by your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to exclude implant exposure.  

Incision opening longterm

+1

It is extremely unlikely and rare for an incision to open longterm.   Frankly, I have never heard of this.   Usually by 6 weeks, 80% of the skin tensile strength has returned and the skin should not reopen at this point.

I would be concerned about a potential medical reason for delay in wound healing.   I would recommend revisiting your plastic surgeon and evaluation by your primary care physician for a potential collagen disorder.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Incision Re-open Years Later?

+1

A little explanation would be helpful--what kind of surgery, what kind of incision, and what are the circumstances?

It would be most unusual for an incision to spontaneously re-open after it is well healed.Two centuries ago you would suspect scurvy, but that disease is almost unheard of today. 

A deep infection may find the path of least resistance to be an old scar. 

Some more info would allow for a more specific reply. All the best.