Butt Implants for Very Small Frame?

I am 32 years old and weight 95 pounds 5'3. I am considering butt implants not a candidate for the BBL. I can never gain weight and wanted a nice butt size. What sizes are safe? Can people die from butt implants? How long is the recovery? Please recommend surgeons in Chicago.

Butt Implants for Very Small Frame?

+1
Intramuscular implants can improve volume by 400 cc or so, depending upon the size of the individual.  Measurements need to be taken, and your anatomy should be assessed with an exam.  A significant amount above this volume compromises healing by creating more tension on the healing incision.

Ideal Gluteal Implants for a petite frame

+1

Thanks for your question.  It is hard to comment on your questions without seeing pictures or performing a physical examination.  For gluteal implants, your surgeon will need to take appropriate measurements of the gluteal areas and also examine your skin quality and elasticity to assess adequate tissue coverage for the implants.  Like any operation there are risks and benefits to any procedure.  Good luck and take care!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

BUTTOCK AUGMENTATION OPTIONS

+1

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection. Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you gain weight for the procedure, the fat that you lose first when you go back down to your baseline weight after surgery is in fact that fat that you originally gained and transferred into your buttocks...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock and/or hip augmentation (at least in my practice).  One of the most important factors in creating the perfect derriere with implants is indeed selecting the right size AND shape. I have found the best way to assure this is to simply measure the actual dimensions of the patients buttock cheeks. With these anatomical measurements, I can select an implant that not only significantly augments the buttock but also supplies the correct 3-dimensional enhancement to look as real as possible. Therefore the only way for you to know what implant works best is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in this procedure and have him/her take your measurements before selecting an implant and proceeding with surgery.                                                                                                                                                                                           I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help… 

Ryan Stanton, MD