Do Butt Implants Look and Feel Real? I Have a Thin Frame.

Despite some surgeons on this sites reccomendations for butt implants for a desired larger butt (ive found the reccomendations usually come from surgeons who perform them regularly), I have heard from people who have seen them in real life who are not surgeons say that they are very unatural in look and feel. I am a dancer so my career can either be advanced or ruined by my decision in this procedure. therefore, I am looking for genuine advice. I am thin and afraid fat transfers do not last long

Buttock Augmentation Options

+5

I am going to tell you what you may not hear from others.  Currently the only two safe and effective methods for Buttock Augmentation are Autologous Fat Transfer (transfer of your own fat to the buttocks, aka "Brazilian Butt Lift") and Buttock Implants (semi-solid soft silicone rubber implants).  Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.  Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest.  Thus buttock implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I personally recommend either the round or the oval shaped implants dependent upon the natural anatomic shape of the patient's buttock cheeks.  The implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle.  In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle.  Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this technique.  Additionally, in this type of surgeons hands the often quoted "high risks" of complications especially infection are actually much lower around 5%. Best of luck...RAS

Do Butt Implants Feel Natural? ....or Look Natural?

+2

I have done Hundreds of Buttocks Augmentations, both implants and Brazilian Butt Lifts.  I used to do mostly Butt Implants.  Now when patients come in wanting Butt Implants (which is uncommon), I only recommend them as a last resort. 
In answer to your question, Butt Implants occasionally "look" natural.  They almost never "feel" natural.  Fat Grafting is 100% natural feeling and looking. 
As far as Fat Grafting, in the right hands, the results can be amazing. In the hands of plastic surgeons experienced with the Brazilian Butt Lift, fat survival is on average about 80% and I have seen some of my patients who had nearly 100% fat survival! Fat Grafting does last if it is done correctly.  I have seen patients of mine years after their Brazilian Butt Lift procedure and find very little, if any change in their appearance when compared to their appearance at 3 months.  It does last at least for years, and most likely permanently! If you have excess fat in other areas, then the Brazilian Butt Lift is the better option in my opinion. 

Butt Implants have a very high complication rate, infections and often the need for removal.  This means typically anywhere from 5-10% (on the very low side) up to 20 or 30% (on the high side)  of patients have infections or other complications and often need reoperations to try to salvage them or to have their implants removed.  So if you find a surgeon who is very experienced with the procedure of Butt Implants, you have a 1 in ten or maybe a 1 out of 20 chance of needing to have your implants removed. 
I still do Butt Implants on rare occasion, and explain these risks to all of my patients before we proceed.  I think it's only fair that patients know the risks.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

The look and feel of buttock implants

+1

Cape Cod,

Buttock implants can indeed look natural.  They often feel very firm.  There are advantages and disadvantages to placing them above, below, or within the muscle.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will enlighten you in that regard.  Buttock implants are a reasonable option for buttock augmentation.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD