Dermabrasion for Burn Scar?

I have post burn scar covering my chin due to uneven skin grafting. Can I go for dermabrasion?

Warning: Dermabrasion with Burn Scars

+1

Dermabrasion is used to smooth scars and stimulate skin collagen production.  However, please take great caution when  considering Dermabrasion for burns scars.  Here's why:

• Dermabrasion takes off the skin layers down to the deepest layer of the skin (the dermis)
  • In order to heal, skin cells in the area that has been dermabraded start to grow and cover the raw area.
  • These skin cells come from the pores and hairs the dermabraded region.
  • When you have a burn injury, the pores and hairs are destroyed. 
  • Therefore, there are no skin cells to support healing after Dermabrasion.

Generally speaking, you should not undergo Dermabrasion following burn injury.  However, if the surgeon is very conservative, you might be able to smooth out uneven burn scars, though the healing time may be greatly increased.  You should also be aware that there is the potential to create more poor scarring when using Dermabrasion in burn scars.

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion for burn scars

+1

Dermabrasion is an effective technique for recontouring the face and resurfacing the skin. Dermabrasion can be used to resurface the scars caused by Burns or skin grafting in some cases. Your best bet is to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience in treating burns, performing skin grafts and skin resurfacing. You may be a candidate for a scar revision or excision of a prominent scar. Such an expert will be able to review your concerns and let you know which combination of treatments may be best for you.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Dermabrasion usually of limited benefit for scars

+1

Dermabrasion is generally not advised for burn scars due to lack of adnexal structures which can compromise healing after the dermabrasion. If performed, it must be done cautiously. It also may need to be repeated.  Do not expect dramatic results.