Is Bump After Broken Nose from Swelling or Permanent? (photo)

I broke my nose about a week and a half ago, just a small nasal fracture, and there's this little bump that never used to be there. The bruises are almost gone and it's becoming less painful, but I can't tell if the hump is getting any better. Does it look like this bump is just from my nose being swollen still or could it be permanent? I attached two images (sorry it's not that clear). If it's permanent and I want to fix it to how it was before, what surgery is involved?

Is Bump After Broken Nose from Swelling or Permanent?

+2

At 1 1/2 weeks it is difficult to say if your bump will resolve. You definitely still have swelling so there is hope that this will resolve completely. If it does not resolve within three months the only effective solution would be a rhinoplasty to reduce the bump. If your nose is also deviated as a result of the injury that can also be repaired at the same time. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps may go away but also may persist after a broken nose

+2

There is no way to predict if a new bump will go away after a broken nose. That occurs from what is called a callous. Bones react to trauma by forming new, healing bone. If it persists beyond a few months it can be "rasped" down. If you have Emergency Room records and and X-Ray of a fracture then you might even get insurance to cover it.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Bump on nose after injury

+2

Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing at present if your bump is permanent or not.  At a week and a half after the injury, there is still going to be some swelling.  Some more time is needed for the swelling to resolve, and then you will have a better idea if the bump is still there or not.  If the bump is still there are the swelling subsides, it would require a relatively simple surgery to remove the bump, most likely just by rasping it down.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bump after broken nose temporary versus permanent?

+1
Since it has only been approximately 10 days after the nasal trauma, the nose is still swollen. It's a good idea to seek out a consultation with the ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to determine whether or not the nose has been fractured. X-rays or CAT scan may be of benefit as well. If a  Small bump is present, rasping may be all that is required. If the nasal bones are twisted, fractured and displaced, then medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required in addition to the hump  removal. 

Broken nose

+1

It is still too early to tell. Wait untill all swelling and pain are gone. Usually if the bump is still there after 3 to 6 months, then you can be sure it is permanent. At thatvtime you can consider a consult with a plastic surgeon.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon