Brown Spots on Face Treatment Advice

I am 39 year old female with brown spots, some freckling, broken capillaries and red blotches/rosacea, and dull skin that does not exfoliate well. Which laser treatment would be best for me? Also, in regard to the actual machine, which type is best? What is the minimum power or frequency needed for very good results? I have called several doctors and they all say their machines are best for what I need. Please help!

IPL

+3

An IPL ( intense pulsed light) device would be best since it would be more effective, less expensive, less risky, and give you less downtime than a laser. An IPL which gives off light in the green part of the visible light spectrum (550 nanometers) would be the most apt. It treats both the vascular problems, rosacea, and brown spots.

A number of companies make excellent IPL machines including the Sciton IPL, the Palomar LuXG, Alma's Harmony and Cutera Limelight.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Best Treatment for brown spots, some freckling, broken capillaries and red blotches

+2

Drs. Seckel and Goldberg are two of the foremost authorities in Laser Medicine. I FULLY agree with their posts. I too agree that Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is the answer to your brown spots, some freckling, broken capillaries and red blotches. I prefer the Sction IPL - termed BBL (BroadBand Light) which allows rapid skin cooling and protection with two heads making the treatment of brown spots, freckling, capillaries and red blotches MUCH easier. You may want to look Sciton BBL on YouTube to see just how painless and effective it is.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Laser Treatments

+2

There is no one machine best for everything. Treating brown spots either with a Q-switched laser or an intense pulsed light (IPL) source can be used. With a Q-switched laser, fewer treatments are required but there is some treatment-associated downtime. In the end, both of these devices can work for the treatment of brown spots but there is no machine perfect for everything you have described. In terms of the energy required from the machine, the same Q-switched laser from different manufacturers may be used at different energies. It is impossible without seeing you to determine the appropriate frequency or energy that you require.

David Goldberg, MD

IPL for lentigos and rosacea

+1
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is great at targeting brown spots from age, known as lentigos, as well as facial capillaries, and redness from rosacea.  The IPL is not technically a laser but uses light energy focused and filtered to specific wavelengths based on the condition being treated.  This light energy triggers skin renewal in the targeted cells and can be highly focused to resolve particular skin conditions. Many companies produce quality IPL devices.  The settings used depend on the condition being treated and your skin type.  An experienced provider will determine settings that effectively target the concern without causing side effects.  Most conditions require a series of treatments with the IPL to resolve, but your provider should provide an estimate of the number of treatments required.  Our office uses the Ellman Medley IPL and typically recommends a series of three treatments to obtain maximal results.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Combo works best

+1
From what you have described Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) would likely work well.  The broad spectrum of light can help with brown and red.  We typically do a series to treatments and follow them up with a complimentary VBeam pulsed dye laser treatment for stubborn vessels and a q-switched laser for stubborn brown spots.

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Age Spots

+1

You should look into laser treatments with Spectra. Spectra is a dual mode Q-switched laser with four wavelengths. The versatility for treatment is possible with 532, 585, 650 and 1,064 nanometer options. The longer wavelength allows for treatment on those with darker skin and pigmented lesions. Multiple laser treatments may be required on your age spot issues.

Additionally, you may also benefit from Fraxel DUAL. The Fraxel DUAL features both the 1,927 nanometer wavelength and 1,550-nanometer wavelength laser option. The latter wavelength penetrates skin deeper more prominent cases.

It’s still important to consult with a board certified specialist to determine the best course of treatment. Differences in pigment, skin type and depth of age spots are all guiding factors for a laser treatment.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Brown spots on face treatment advice

+1

Doing a treatment that it is a pulsed light treatment, often referred to as a "Photofacial"  would be beneficial to help with the pigmentation issues as well as the vascular issues you mentioned.

There are a variety of machines that provide "Photofacials". The Harmony AFT Laser offers an effective treatment with fewer side effects  than many previous machines. 

The settings vary on each patient depending on their skin type and issues.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Brown spots, red blotches and dull skin is best treated with IPLs and chemical peels.

+1

Both a series of IPLs and chemical peels are needed to remove brown spots, red blotches and dull skin.  Usually I perform both an IPL treatment and a light TCA chemical peel at the same visit and do a series of 5 treatments about 2 weeks apart for good results for roughly $3000 for the series.  Your skin will look great and healthy with no down time.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL is great for brown spots and broken capillaries and rosacea

+1

I will completely agree that the best laser for what you have is IPL which also has no recovery and virtually no risk. You need a series of treatments but the benefits will be very visible.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

IPL is my choice for brown spots and blood vessels on the face

+1

IPL or Intense Pulsed Light, not laser resurfacing is the best choice to treat brown spots, vessels and Rosacea of the face.

Lasers can remove brown spots and vessels, but are stronger, more irritating treatments and can cause Rosacea to flare.

IPL, also called photofacial treatments in the 550-650nm wavelength range are excellent and gentle and will help Rosacea as well as pigment and vessels

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS