Broken Nasal Bone Remodelling?

I broke my nose recently and had nose manipulation surgery. It has now been 4 months since the operation, and although my nose does appear to be very straight, there now seems to be a bump on the right and left side of the bridge of my nose which makes my nose look thicker and kind of square at the top in certain lights and mirrors.

I have read that our bones develop callous to 'fix' the bone together, and then the bone remodels itself to its original shape over time. Is this true for nasal bones? I also read on other websites that bumps can develop permanently after injuries, so I am finding the whole thing really distressing. Please can someone tell me if these bumps do eventually resolve themselves? I would be so grateful for a reponse.

You're absolutely right. Let it sit awhile.

+3

Part of the normal healing process from any fracture is callus formation and bony remodelling, and this is also true of nasal fractures. This can cause a sense of a bump to form along a fracture line that happened either from trauma or one that was created during surgery.

I'm glad to hear that your nose is straight. I would sit tight on this concern for a little longer and talk to your surgeon. If the bumps are subtle, there is a good chance they will disappear or diminish to the extent that you are no longer concerned. If they are significant, they may occasionally require a little smoothening, but this is not a very involved procedure. Consider waiting another 4-6 months and then reevaluate how things are settling.

Jason Litner, MD

Nasal bones post trauma

+2

Yes, you are correct. The nasal bones can heal with callus that can cause small irregularities or bumps. When I treat nasal trauma patients, they usually have to undergo revisions by shaving down the small bony protrusions. At 4 months, the nose may still be swollen so you probably want to wait a bit longer.

Bumps After Nasal Fracture Repair

+1

All fractures will heal with some degree of callus formation.  Bumps after nasal fracture repair can be seen post procedure early on and resolve over time.  If the bumps persist, the edges can be reshaped to improve the appearance of the nose.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose will probably return to the original size

+1

If after a few more months it is not going down, you will probably need another surgery. The bones don't remodel in the same way as other bones. What you see is either swelling, which will go away, or the bone edges. Time will tell.