Round Moderate Vs High Profile Implants

I am an extremely small chested athletic type person getting a breast augmentation. I was told by my plastic surgeon that high profile would be the best. I'm not sure I like the looks of them on patients the same size as me. What is the difference between round moderate plus and high profile implants?

Breast Implant Shape Decision: Try on a High Profile vs. Moderate Profile

+12

The decision as to whether to have a High Profile Implant or a Moderate Profile Breast Implant is a decision that should be made with the guidance of your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

As other surgeons have noted, the High Profile Breast Implant will give more projection and upper pole fullness, compared to a Moderate Profile Breast Implant.  In my Baltimore practice, the overwhelming majority of my patients want more upper pole fullness, so they choose the High Profile Implants.  It is not even close!

To be sure of the decision, you should be able to try on the two different styles of implants in your surgeon's office. You will be able to see the difference with the implant placed in the bra and a shirt on top.

To read more about the difference between High Profile Implants vs. Moderate Profile Breast Implants , please read the link below and watch the video.

Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

The high profiles are less natural looking

+6

The three implant profiles are designed to create different "looks" depending on what the patient desires.

"Moderate" profiles look the most natural (what nature can make) with no excess upper pole fullness.

"Moderate plus" profiles look slightly fuller than natural, what one of my patients termed "perma-cleavage."

"High profile" implants are designed to provide dramatic excess upper pole fullness.

If your chest wall is very narrow, and if you have very little breast tissue, the high profiles might be okay for you. Otherwise they might seem too big and buldgy. Make sure you see pictures of many patients with high profiles to be certain it is a look you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

How to pick breast implant sizes or shapes.

+4

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Moderate Profile + Breast Implants More Natural Than High Profile

+3

Thank you for your question. The plastic surgeon that you choose we will be able to help you make the decision whether to have moderate profile plus or high profile breast implants.

Many important factors are taken into consideration most importantly the width of your chest and the current shape of your breast.

Generally speaking a moderate profile plus breast implants is designed to give a more natural looking breast. The moderate profile plus breast implant is flatter and wider than the high-profile breast implant. In most patients this produces more cleavage and more fullness on the side of the breast which most patients find appealing.

The high-profile breast implant is narrower and higher or projects outward more from the chest wall. The high-profile breast implant will give more fullness of the breast above the nipple areola in most cases.

Since you have a small chest you may be a candidate for a high profile implant if you do not need fullness on the side of the breast and increased cleavage.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experiencing breast cosmetic surgery and has a good reputation in your local area.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Profiles?

+3

The difference between these implants have to do with the dimensions ( diameter and height)  of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter  compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate  profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants ( all profiles)  available in the operating room. I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

Impant shapes

+3

Volume for volume, the high profile implants have a smaller diameter or base width and  more projection than a moderate plus implant.  If you are narrow and want alot of projection you go with the HP's.  If you want more side breast or curve, you go with the moderate plus.

Choose size, then profile

+3

The most important thing for you is to pick a size that is consistent with your lifestyle and level of activity. The way I ususally do this is to have the patient try differnt implants on in a bra of the desired cup size. When you are doing this the implant just conforms to the bra so it isn't what we go on the choose profile. The next most important thing in my opinion is the implant diameter, which has to conform to the natural base diamter of your breasts. Once you know the size the profile is selected by whichever type fits the base diameter in the size you want. this will most likely be high profile if you want a larger size and have a small diameter, while a small size will be one of the types with a wider base diamter.

Richard Baxter, MD

High profile are rounder

+3

The higher the profile, the more round the implants for the same width. If you have very little soft tissue, then high profile implants will give you breasts that look more like the implants. I generally start with the flatter, least projecting implants when analyzing a patient and see if the dimension of implant that fits the natural breast will give the look you desire. If not, then I start to vary the projection and width. It is rare that I end up using the high profile implant if a patient does not want to look "done" or "unnatural." When in doubt, go smaller rather than larger.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Projection...

+2

Hi there-

A high profile implant is going to give more projection than a moderate plus profile or moderate profile implant will, for the same volume...

This means that if you had a 250 cc high profile implant placed on one side, and a 250 cc moderate profile implant placed on the other side (and no one would ever do this), the side with the high profile implant would stick out further from your ribs than the other implant. It would also be a bit narrower...

I agree with my colleague below, and tend to only use high profile implants when no other option will make my patient happy. They tend to look too unnatural and "done".

I hope that helps you.

Armando Soto, MD

Implant Profile and Body Shape

+1
It is impossible to recommend implant without seeing a patients body form or shape.  Profiles increase projection and look different on different bodies depending on shoulder width, muscularity, base diameter of the breast and desired cup size.  I use a sizing system to let patients see what the implants look like on them and show moderate and high profile on their body frame.  You can look at other patients results based on height, weight and athletic build similar to yours on line and print the pictures you like with implant information they used as a tool for your plastic surgeon to help you decide.