Will Breasts Get Smaller After Healing from Reduction Surgery?

two weeks post op.5'4' and 130lb. i had DDD brest size before surgery. i was given the vertical incesion to avoid the boxy look. He said he removed 250 cc from each brest. i wanted a full C to a D. this i made very clear. i am still fitting in my old bras, will they get smaller and how much approx

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I was suggest that you wait at least 9 months to one year  After surgery to determine your satisfaction with the results;  I would also suggest that you do not base your satisfaction on resulting cup size.

Swelling after breast reduction can last 6-9 months.

Swelling can persist for a minimum of 6-9 months after surgery. Therefore it is difficult to assess the final size unitil that time has transpired.

Breast reduction size

Yes, they will still get smaller with time but you did not have much removed and that amount will decrease your breast size by about 1 one half cup size. Make sure you wear paper tape over the incisions for about two months to help the scars heal.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

In my opinion If you had DDD breasts the vertical breast reduction does not lend itself to reducing your DDD to a C/D.  You most likely needed the anchor incision to provide the access needed to remove significant amounts of breast tissue.  With the small amount you had removed it is very unlikely that your size will change very much.

Dr. ES 

Removing 250 grams is UNLIKELY to Reduce DDD Breasts to full C to D Breasts

Removing 250 grams of breast tissue is UNLIKELY to Reduce DDD Breasts to full C to D Breasts. . Although there will be some further decrease of post surgical breast swelling with time, in my opinion you may need further surgery to reach your goal.

Breasts continue to soften and get smaller as the swelling after reduction surgery improves

At two weeks after your surgery, it is too early to assume that you are seeing the final results of your breast reduction surgery.  That having been said though, 250 grams is not a large volume reduction. At this time, the best course is to wait and let the healing process go on. In 6-8 weeks, you should have a better idea of the true size of the breast. If you are still too large I would go see another surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a second opinion. If you can get a copy of your operative report and pathology report to bring to that consultation, the surgeon will find them useful

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and final volume

Your breast will certainly go through some changes as they heal form a breast reduction. Give it some time to see the final results and ultimately the final volume. The swelling will subside over time.

Difficult to answer without seeing you

This question is difficult to answer as most women don't wear the right size bra.  Your body habitus will have a great deal to do with how much is removed.  Your breast may have a lot of fat as opposed to breast tissue which has volume but not much weight.  I agree that 2500gms does seem like not that much but you may also have a lot of swelling.

There is nothing to do at this time but wait.  Give it a good 2-3 months and then re-evaluate.  I will assume you will be seeing your doctor several times during this period so you can even bring it up on the next  post-op visit.

Breast Size after Reduction Surgery

It is impossible to exactly estimate the size of the breast after reduction surgery.  However, your surgeon should be able to give you a general idea.  However, taking 250 cc off would not make a DDD into a C or D.  If you are only 2 weeks after surgery, there is likely still significant swelling which will settle over the next month or so.  Good luck with your recovery.

David Shafer, MD

Two Weeks Too Early To See Changes

With the little amount of breast tissue removed during your surgery, as well as the fact that it has only been two weeks, I am not suprised that you are not seeing a huge change yet.  I would just be patient.  It really takes 2-3 months for all the swelling to go down, the breasts to settle, etc.  After three months, i would then address it with your surgeon if you still feel you are too large.  I hope this helps.