Breast Reduction Recovery

I want to have a breast reduction surgery, but after seeing pictures of patients whose operation went very wrong, I got worried and discouraged. Why do some patients who have breast reduction surgery end up with dead tissue and really awful wounds? How can you prevent that? Is it the doctor's fault? If the operation goes great and the patient follows the post operation treatment correctly, can still this happen? If the doctor I'm seeing is a member of the ISAPS, can I be assured that he won't do anything wrong? Please, I'm really really worried.

Breast Reduction Recovery

Thanks for your question.  We can all understand your concerns since this is an important procedure for you.  IF you are a non-smoker, non-diabetic and close to being at a reasonable weight for your height the risk of bad healing is quite small.  I feel that the risks also increase somewhat when someone is much larger than the average DD cup patient whom I see for the procedure. 
Review your medical history and all other details with your surgeon to be sure that you are comfortable that you've had a detailed discussion of realistic risks before you choose to proceed.  Keep in mind that the benefits of breast reduction can be enormous.  Good luck if you choose to proceed.  Be certain that you surgeon is experienced and willing to take some extra time to discuss these issues with you.

Breast reduction complications

You have valid concerns since no surgery is without risks no matter how minor. However, in addition to having a highly qualified plastic surgeon who does surgery at an accredited facility, you should know that some patients do worse than others because of certain risk factors. For example, smokers and diabetics often have wound healing complications. In fact, some surgeons do not operate on those patients unless the benefits of the surgery medically outweigh the risks. Your plastic surgeon will weigh your risks and decides whether or not you are a candidate for the operation. It is the expectation that a board-certified plastic surgeon has the highest regard for your safety and for minimizing your risks for complications. There are always some unknowns in any surgery, but breast reductions are one of the most commonly performed surgeries that we do and most of the time have minimal or no issues.

Orna Fisher, MD

Breast reduction surgery complications

Breast reduction surgery removes a large amount of tissue: anywhere from 1-4+ lbs of tissue per side.  When the remaining tissue does not have adequate blood flow, healing problems can occur.  These might range from a small area that is slow to heal, all the way up to losing a nipple.  The major risk factors for healing problems are:
  1. Smoking
  2. Diabetes
  3. Very large breast size
If you have very large breasts, your surgeon may recommend a free nipple reduction, where the nipple is taken off the breast and put back on as a skin graft.  This ensures good blood flow to the nipple in its new position.  

I require my patients to quit smoking before reduction surgery to help minimize risks due to smoking.

Good management of diabetes can help decrease risks as well.  This is evaluated by looking at the hemoglobin A1c level.

In addition, ask your surgeon how many breast reductions he or she does a year, as well as his/her complication rate.  This should give you a better idea of your individual risk of complications after breast reduction surgery.

Jennifer Greer, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction recovery

Recovery from breast reduction surgery has definitely gotten better in the last 20 years. Most of our patients will have a reduction as an outpatient ( unless they choose to spend the night or have a medical condition that makes it safer to spend the night).. Most patients can drive in a 3-5 days and will return to work in about a week, depending on their job. Every week they are doing more ( and more comfortably after a reduction) until they are back full time in the gym around a month.

G. Wesley Price, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Recovery

One of the most common causes for a prolonged recovery and complications are when patients do not follow their post-op indications. It tends to happen that patients feel very good after surgery and that can be very deceiving, even if you are feeling like have had nothing done you did and need to very cautious and still follow the instructions your plastic surgeon gives you, a bad movement can put your surgery at risk and ultimately cause a bad outcome. Also what does contribute is your genes patients you tend to not scar well is not the Doctor's fault it is just how their body heals. Just follow your indications and go to your follow-ups do what your Plastic Surgeon recommends and you should be good.

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Recovery

Thank you so much for your question.

The way to minimize the risk of any complication is to control those factors that we have control over. In other words, this may include preliminary weight loss, adequate selection of the patient, and choosing the appropriate technique. And the surgery should be performed by a board certified and well-qualified surgeon.

All of these things combined help provide a good outcome with minimal complications. There are some complications that are unavoidable under the best of hands. We just need to be aware of which fall into each category.

Likewise, following postoperative instructions is very important.

ISAPS is a good organization. But here, locally, we look more towards The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

Hope this helps.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Recovery

Breast reduction surgery tends to have a high patient satisfaction rate.  Not only are you able to eliminate symptoms such as neck and back pain in many cases, but also benefit from the aesthetic outcome.  I use the vertical breast reduction technique that avoids the bottom horizontal scar.  Since switching to this technique I have found that my patients have less pain postoperatively and are able to return to work within a couple of days with just over the counter pain medication as needed.  A supportive postoperative bra is worn for 4-6 weeks and regular exercise can resume in 4-6 weeks depending on the healing.

Quintessa Miller MD FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Quintessa Miller, MD, FACS
Fort Walton Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Process Following Breast Reduction

Breast reduction is a commonly performed procedure that is associated with high satisfaction rates. This procedure improves quality of life and alleviates symptoms associated with breast hypertrophy.
         It’s important to remember that recovery varies from patient to patient. The vast majority of patients have uneventful recoveries, but occasionally patients do have complications. These are usually related to problems with wounds healing and occur for a variety of reasons.
         Breast reduction not only makes the breast smaller but lifts the breast into a normal position. This requires the development of skin flaps and the removal of excess skin. These skin flaps, occasionally have compromised blood supply which can lead to wound healing problems.
         Infection, obesity, diabetes and cigarette smoking have all been shown to adversely impact blood flow to skin flaps and are associated with wound healing problems. Every effort should be made to minimize the impact of these risk factors. This will ultimately result in fewer wound healing problems and less scarring.
         It’s also important to make sure that your surgeon has experience performing breast reduction and is board certified in plastic surgery. Scarring in inevitable with any surgical procedure, but with proper care this can be minimized following breast reduction surgery.

Breast Reduction Recovery is Fast! Low Complication Rate!

Surgery can be scary!   It is important to understand the risks, and then, it's not so scary.  

Breast reduction patients routinely have surgery, recover quickly and celebrate freedom! From back pain, neck pain, shoulder strap indentation, rash and headaches. They are able to exercise better, sleep better, and breathe better. 

In a large outcome study, 98.7% of breast reduction patients were either Very Glad, or Glad that they had surgery.  

I perform about 100 breast reductions a year, and they are among my happiest patients!  

Breast reduction is usually an out patient surgery which takes about two hours.  Patients take pain medicine for 1-3 days and return to a desk job in an average of one week.  Patients are cleared for full activity at two weeks.   It is a Rapid Recovery procedure! 

So, what can go wrong?  Thankfully, the complication is low. Complications occur more often in patients at greater risk: smokers, diabetics, patients with obesity and scarring from previous breast surgery.  

Most common, a little 'scabby' healing, usually trivial, usually healed up in 2-3 weeks.  5-10% chance.  

Permanent nipple numbness. 1% 

Scars.  Some scarring is necessary, but with good scar management, they can be minimized.  Short scar techniques like No Vertical Scar and Lollipop techniques combined with aggressive scar treatments afterward, yield very many Happy patients.  

Bigger complications, like large skin loss and nipple loss, occur even less frequently, way less than 1% of the time.  Even with these rare complications, a reasonable result is usually still achieved. 

Breast reduction recovery

Many thanks for your valid question and concerns.

Breast Reduction surgery is a common procedure and in most cases is very successful and without complication. There are risks associated with any surgical procedure including those you referred to such as wound breakdown and infection however if you are fit and well with no history of smoking then you should absolutely get a good result.

ISAPS as with all professional society's provide a degree of assurance as you know that the Plastic surgeon is accredited. It is impossible to guarantee results however ask your surgeon to show you pictures of other breast reduction surgery that hes performed. You should have confidence in your surgeon.

Good Luck