How Long Before Skin Completely Heals After Breast Reduction?

I had a Breast reduction. I was a DDD and I am now C and I am very happy with the results thus far. I only had the surgery a week ago and was curious as to how long it takes the skin to completely heal. I was also curious when the stitches will dissolve. Thank you :-)

Breast Reduction Healing

+2

Your wounds will reach maximum strength 3-6 weeks after surgery. There will continue to be changes in the scars for 6-12 months. This can sometimes be favorably influenced by massage and application of vitamin E, Scarfade, etc. The period of time for the suture to dissolve depends on the type used. I have seen suture material as late as a year or more following surgery.

Breast Reduction and Healing?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations would perform.

“Healing” of the skin will take several weeks to occur. Maturation of the scar may take up to 1 to 2 years. Stitched dissolving depends  on the type of suture used may require 1 to 8 months.

Skin healing after breast reduction

+1

Breast reduction surgery is a very popular and effective way to remove tissue that may cause symptoms such as pain or discomfort and to contour the shape and position of your breasts. In our practice, we emphasized that patients that there is a significant recovery process after the surgery. During this recovery patients should expect to have swelling, business, and changes in the character, size, and color of their scars. Their scars will achieve their final appearance in 10 to 12 months after their surgery.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast Reduction healing

+1

The breasts heal over a long period of time. The skin will be firmly sealed and healed withn 4-6 weeks but the maturation process may take up to a year so that the scars fade and the breast become softer.

Three week healing after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Of course, every patient is different, and different surgeons do different operations, but in general, you are well enough healed three weeks after a breast reduction that you can exercise freely.  The scars continue to improve for two years.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Skin healing after breast reduction

+1

There are different ways to measure skin healing after surgery. For about three to five weeks after surgery, your body will continue to deposit collagen underneath your scar, making it stronger, but also making the scar thicker and redder. Usually after three weeks, most plastic surgeons feel comfortable that the incision will remain intact, even if stressed. After 3-5 weeks, your skin will undergo a process of scar remodeling, in which the body will slowly re-orient the collagen within the scar, making it stronger and also flattening and smoothing the scar. When the process is complete, which may be in several months to two years, the pink color of the scars will fade.

It's hard to know how long it will take your sutures to dissolve, as different plastic surgeons use different types of dissolving sutures. This is a question best answered by your surgeon.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Healing from breast reduction depends upon your surgeon's technique

+1

Different dissolvable sutures dissolve over differing periods of time. The answer to your question, therefore, depends upon which sutures your surgeon selected for your case. Healing varies with technique as well as blood supply issues. Most non-smokers heal (on the outside) within a few weeks although the tissues deep inside continue to heal for much longer than that. Smokers usually take a longer than this...up to several times longer.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon