Is It Normal for Breasts to Itch After Reduction Surgery?

If I had a breast reduction is it normal for my breast to itch a lot? Especialy right under the breast. I received surgery on the 8th of June, 2010 and my right breast is itching me. I also have fevers throughout the night and sometimes during the day. Is this normal?

Help for itching after plastic surgery for breast reduction

+2

You would want to see a physician to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction to medications/garments or a yeast infection as the cause for your itching (pururitis). However, itching is quite common beginning from 7 days out to 3 weeks as histamine is involved in wound healing.  I have found that topical moisturizers and arnica cream are soothing. Oral anti-histamines may help diminish symptoms but can be sedating.

Itching after a breast reduction

+1

Itching is relatively common after any surgery.  Benadryl at bed time can be of some benefit.  Also a low grade fever is not uncommon.  If you notice redness of your skin or a fever above 102 then it is time to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.  

Breast Reduction Recovery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Itching may very well be a normal part of the recovery process;  however, you should still be seen by your plastic surgeon to see if you are having an allergic response to medications etc. You should also be evaluated to determine the source of fever.

Itching after a breast reduction

+1

Itching may be normal after a breast reduction as the healing process takes place. If the area is red and p ainful you may have a dermatitis.  Fevers are something that need to be investigated by your doctor.

Itch after reduction surgery

+1

Yes! You may be having a dermatitis in the incision area. Return to the surgeon for examination and treatment. Otherwise keep area clean and use a moisturizer and antibiotic creams.

From MIAMI DR. B