Breast Reduction for 15 -16 Year Old Girl?

My daughter is 15 and has extremely large pendulum breasts, she wears a size 38DD bra, which she pops out of and has touble keeping them up with the underwire. She is demonstrating problems such as back pain, bilateral shoulder pain, she has shoulder grooves, along with neck pain. I was told in middle school that she had scholosis and I worry that the weight of her breasts will make that worse as she ages. Please advise how to get her some help and eventually a breast reduction. She has BC/BS.

Breast Reduction for 15-16 year old

+1

Your daughter can get breast reduction surgery with parental approval as long as she is in good health. Insurance companies have different requirements for approval and many require that the patient is 18 years of age. Have her seen by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in breast surgery to find out what your options are. Good luck!

See a BC/BS plastic surgeon

+1

as procedures can be done for her but she will obviously need your permission and accept the risks that will come with it.  But reductions are done in teens and often work out well for the properly motivated patient.

Curtis Wong, MD

Avoid Wise pattern

+1

Breast reduction can be done on minors as long as they have parental approval.  If you want insurance to pay for it, you must meet their criteria.  First, you must have symptoms such as neck, back and shoulder pain.  Second, you must have the amount removed to meet their criteria.  At size 38 each 200 grams removed corresponds to 1 cup size change.  Insurance companies usually require 500 grams, which corresponds to 2 ½ cup size reduction.  This may or may not be appropriate for your daughter.  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction that avoids the ugly vertical scars of the boat anchor shaped incisions.  This technique will reshape the breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle, which results in immediate pain relief.  This technique maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  The Wise pattern, which was developed in 1956, results in the ugly vertical scars, recurrent ptosis, nipple numbness and the inability to breast feed. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski. M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

It is better be corrected now before she gets depression

+1

at this  age and that seize it is much  better realize since now with a certified by ASAPS surgeon in order  to respect the galactophorous ducts  to preserve the milking, of  course at that seize it must be done with an inverted T  scar.

this  performing  surely will avoid future depression

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in teenagers is sometimes indicated.

+1

Breast reduction is primarily a functional operation. When the size of the breasts & daily activity even in a teenager the operation is indicated.

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and (probable) psychosocial problems your daughter's disproportionately large breasts are causing her. 
It is probable that she is dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for her frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.   
As she learns about breast reduction surgery, make sure she reads about the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure. You may find the attached link helpful in this regard.  For example, unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure she also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.