Are my Breasts Large Enough to Remove the Required 482 Grams from Each Side for Insurance Coverage? My Size is 38DD/DDD. (photo)

Hi. I am 5'4" 168 lbs. Non smoker. No health issues. Ins. approved reduction 5 mos ago. At my pre-op appt yesterday I learned for the first time the required grams needed to be removed. My Dr decided he can't remove that much. I am devestated to find this out 10 days before surgery. Could you please give your educated opinion if this amount could be removed? I'm fine with a B cup. I have provided pictures. I would like to know if he is just being conservative. If so I will go to a different PS.

How much pre reduction

+2

Looking at your photos I think it would be close.He could remoive the required amount and then I would give it soem time to settle down.You might be a little smaller than you want but you can grow into it so worse case scenario you have a limited breast aug.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Maximum lift and minimal weight removal

+2

At size 38 each 200 cc’s corresponds to 1 cup size change.  Removal of 482 grams would take you down 2 ½ cup sizes to approximately a B, small C, which is what you desire.  However, being 5’4 and 168 lbs, that may look inappropriately small and you may be dissatisfied with the final result.  The biggest complaint after breast reduction is excessive removal and dissatisfaction with small size.  Your photographs show you have excessive skin envelope and ptosis.  I would recommend the maximum lifting procedure with minimal weight removal.    

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Weight Requirement For Reduction

+2

Looking at your photos, it does not appear that removing the 482 grams of tissue from each breast would be difficult.  I would recommend another opinion.  Unfortunately the insurance approval process probably will have to be started anew.

500 g per side would probably yield a be cup after reduction.

+2

It looks to me like at least 500 g of reduction would be necessary to yield a be cup. This is dependent in part on the density of the breast tissue. You might want to get another opinion.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,15-atlanta-breast-reduction.htm

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

+1

Every insurance plan has there own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction.  More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit.  If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage.  Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight).  Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes.   The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option.   Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX