Breast Reduction--Anchor Vs. Lollipop for Petite DDD? (photo)

I'm 5'2'' 125lbs and have DDD breasts. My PS won't perform a lollipop procedure on me even though it's a modest reduction and I'm healthy because he says he doesn't like how the results look and that the new procedure is just a fad. But I've heard that the lollipop procedure leaves better shape, less scarring, and more possibility of breastfeeding. My procedure is already scheduled and being paid for by insurance. Should I cancel it and start the process over with someone who does lollipop?

Lollipop Vs. Anchor Scar Reduction

+2

Ask 5 plastic surgeons how to do something and you will get 5 answers and they will probably all be right. We all find ways to get good results, but those ways may be different than another colleague's. Most plastic surgeons in this country use the full anchor scar for reduction as shown by multiple polls taken over the years. I do. But I have many good friends who prefer the lollipop and get excellent results. Most of my patients are concerned with scarring and when the surgery is healed they almost never comment on the scars. Find a surgeon you are comfortable with, look at pictures of his patients to make sure you like his work, and then let him do the surgery his way. You'll be happy with the results.

Breast Reduction Techniques?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for me to give you good advice without direct examination. For your own peace of mind you may want to see an additional well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options;  otherwise, you may always wonder if you made the right choice.

Avoiding the Anchor and Lollipop incisions for breast reduction

+1

I do NOT recommend the boat anchor or lollipo technique.  I recommend a new technique called the Ultimate Breast Reduction with incisions around the nipple and inframammary fold without vertical incisions.  This results in upper breast fullness and maintains the ability to breast feed.  The traditional technique is the Wise pattern which was developed in 1957 and leaves vertical scars which are prone to widen and impossible to hide.  Insurance companies will pay for breast reduction IF you meet the weight criteria determined by body surface area.  If you do not like what your current plastic surgeon is offering, perhaps you would be better off seeing someone else.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based solely on the posted photos I would do a full anchor but I have never examined you in person. Best to obtain 3 to 5 opinions in person from boarded pSs in your area. 

Lollipop appraoch vs a "T"

+1

First, the vertical reduction using a "lollipop" type of incision closure has been around for years. It started to become popular in the early 1970's in Europe, and really sicne the early 90's has become quite popular inthe US. It really is a matter of how much tissue you want removed and how high the nipple has to be moved. Just fromt he photos it looksl ike you may be a good candidate. Go get another opinion.  Good luck.

Lollipop approach for breast reduction not recommended

+1

From the information that you have provided as well as the photos, I can concur with the anchor shaped scar recommended by your plastic surgeon. Performing a reduction and obtaining desirable 3 dimensional results can't be obtained with just a standard lollipop approach due to the natural pattern of excess skin. You are sacrificing shape in order to avoid a scar that usually heals well - not usually a wise trade-off. Except for very rare situations, I find that the lollipop approach both for a reduction and breast lift result in predictably inferiorly shaped breasts. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Anchor vs lollipop breast reduction

+1

There are many ways to do the reduction.  I personally prefer some form of T incision because it gives me better control and shape with better early as well as long term results.  The only scar you eliminate with the lollipop is the least visible one in the crease and the ones that show (the areolar and the vertical) usually look worse because the extra skin is purse stringed together.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS