Breast Lift Without Implants for Small Breasts? (photo)

Hi, I am wondering if it would be possible for me to get a breast lift without implants? I love having small breasts but I just hate how saggy they are and how low my areolas sit.I think my breasts really suit my body when in a bra even though they are small and I would really rather not get implants.

Will you still love having small breasts with scars?

+6

I think your breasts are perfectly fine the way they are and sometimes women need to hear this from a plastic surgeon who examines dozens of breasts every week.

If you love your breasts this much I would be afraid that you won't love your breasts with scars.  You cannot get these breasts up to the chest where I think you want them without some type of scarring.  And beyond that no lift lasts forever.  If you hate the scars you will hate the fact that in ten to fifteen years from now you might need the whole operation done again, especially if you are going to breast feed some day after the operation.

Concentrate on your lovely figure how it is now and really think about these scars before singing up for a lift.

Breast Lift Candidate?

+6

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you are an excellent candidate for breast lifting ( without implants),  if you are happy with the size of the breasts but wish to raise the position of the breasts and the nipple/areola complexes on the chest wall. You will achieve these results with the breast lifting operation;  the trade-off will be scars ( probably around the areola and vertically).

It would be in your best interest to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals. I recommend showing  your surgeon “goal pictures” to communicate your goals as clearly as possible. If, for example, you find breast pictures with more volume/fullness superiorly you may want to consider breast implants as well.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you depending on what you communicate to him/her.

Breast lift procedures and breast implant procedures

+2

Breast lifts (mastopexy) and breast implants (augmentation mammoplasty) are separate operations and do different things. Sometimes they are combined, but experience has been that they are more controllable and have less problems if done separately. The important thing is to understand what each do and do not do as well as the trade-offs. 

Breast implants do not lift the breast. They act as a volume pillow behind the breast and can fill out areas of it which can give the simulation of a lift as well as "perkiness" but they don't actually move the breast or nipple-areola up on the chest. 

There are some procedures that sound like lifts. The "Ultimate Breast Lift" sounds nice but beware procedures with capital letters in their name that are potentially more hype than good surgical science or depend on a permanent suspension, like the "Threadlift" in the face. These are fraught with potential problems in the long term. Usually there is minimal general or long term experience with such procedures. I would also beware of peri-areolar and crescent lifts which do not truly lift the breast but merely manipulate the size, shape, and position of the nipple-areola. 

A true breast lift requires a vertical (lollipop) incision and allows for moving the breast up on the chest permanently without depending on skin support. The breast volume remains essentially the same but the breast is not expanded forward and the fill in the upper pole is modest. The nipple-areola can be resized and positioned better. In your case I would recommend a vertical lift and discuss the size of the areola and bringing it in to the center of the breast a bit. This should give you what you're looking for with the trade-off of the lollipop scar required. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift without implants and no vertical scar

+2

Hi Amy,

Allow me to suggest a new technique called the Ultimate Breast Lift. This technique lifts the breast and creates an internal living bra' to minimize downward descent. Unlike standard techniques which rely on the skin envelope to hold the breast in place. Breasts are firm and perky with minimal scarring. Scars are hidden around the areola and in the inframammary fold. Best of all no vertical scar. Patients are thrilled because upper pole fullness is achieved without the need of implants which can stretch tissue and create a bigger problem. It's worth looking into. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Vertical lollipop scar breast lift will work great for you without implants.

+2

Hi.

1)  You want small perky breasts and this can absolutely be done.  But the way the lift is done makes all the difference..  You need a Lejour-type internal lift.  This operation lifts and reshapes the breasts from the inside without relying on skin tension.  So you a get a good long term shape.

2)    Most lifts are done by tightening the skin.  But skin stretches and these results don't last.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift without implants

+2

Thank you for your question.  If you are happy with the size of your breast, then a breast lift procedure can give you the results that you need.  The lifting procedure not only raises the position of the nipple and areola but can also rearrange the breast tissue to give you more fullness in the upper part of your breasts.  The trade-off is the fact that you will have scars around your areola and on your breast itself.  A small implant can also give you a small lift as well with limited scars.  I hope that this helps.  

Bill Kortesis, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Surgery For Smaller Breasts

+1

It’s not unusual for women with small breasts to request breast lift surgery when breast sag is present. Although the majority of these patients also want breast augmentation, a significant number are only interested in a breast lift.

In this group, breast lift can be performed with high satisfaction rates. A variety of surgical options exist to treat this condition. The exact procedure chosen would depend upon the patient’s aesthetic goals, physical examination and degree of breast sag.

Your pictures suggest that you would be a good candidate for either a circumareoler or lollipop mastopexy depending on the specifics of your physical exam. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be an appropriate next step. This surgeon should be able to help formulate an appropriate treatment plan. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift without implants

+1

The first fundamental test whether breast lifting alone will meet your goals is are you happy with the size of your breast in a push up bra?

A breast lift can maintain the size of your breasts, but reshape them into a more youthful shape and form.  However,  the tradeoff is some visible scarring on the breasts.

There are several options for women considering more minimally invasive breast procedures:

1. Breast lift alone

2.  Breast lift with an implant at a later date if the result is not sufficient.

3. Implant placement alone

4. Dual plane breast augmentation

5. Subglandular breast augmentation

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

+1

You are a good candidate for a circum-areolar breast lift

This will leave you with minimal scarring and reduce the size of your areolae

As you are happy with the size of your breasts ,you do not need an implant

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Without Implants for Small Breasts

+1

You appear to be a candidate for a breast lift without breast implants. To verify, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS