Nipple Placement After Breast Lift? (photo)

I want a lot of lift with very small breasts and no implants. I am not willing to consider implants, but I want my nipple higher from my inframammary fold than is typical in a breast lift. They're too lax and small to be conservative with a lift, I feel. I included regular photos and photos where I've taped my breasts to show what kind of result I'm looking to get. Is this realistic to expect after surgery? If not, why?

Nipple placement after breast lift

+2

I think the taped version of your breasts are a very realistic version of what to expect after surgery. I don't think you made the nipples too high. Based on looking at the extra skin, you will probably need a lollipop scar (around the areola and vertically down to the fold). Maybe we should have every patient tape themselves first!  My only word of caution is that breast lift, done right, is not just a skin surgery - the breast tissue is tightened as well so it isn't so low.

Yes, realistic.

+2

You have a great figure and will look great with a vertical lift as you have handily demonstrated.

If you did want a "lagniappe," and I was doing your surgery, I would ask you to consider the use of acellular dermal matrix as an "internal bra" to decrease the probability of long term "bottoming out"(which essentially means recurrence of sagging, but of the lower breast tissue and skin- not the nipple). Another thought would be fat transfer if you wanted  additional breast volume without implants. If donor material was harvested from the waist area, it would produce an even more dramatic effect, due to the effect of proportion. This would best be done 6 months or so later. Repair of your umbilical hernia would best be done by a plastic surgeon because it could be part of a "mini" abdominoplasty. Alternatively, do none of these things because you already look great!

Todd Sisto, MD
Ocala Plastic Surgeon

Nipple position after Lift?

+2

Congratulations on achieving a pretty good lift with taping. If you would be happy with an overall shape as shown in your photos, then I think a vertical (or lollipop) type of lift would be a reasonable choice, just emphasizing a somewhat higher nipple position than is typically achieved. However, your breast looks slightly bottomed out and your nipple is tipped upward. This is an appearance often seen in a verticle lift, and many traditional type lifts that only remove skin. Another option would be a traditonal (anchor type) lift that emphasizes separation of your breast tissue from the skin, aggressive mobilization of the tissue higher up your chest wall with additional suture support. This results in a different breast shape with more fullness in the upper part, and less tendency towards bottoming out. Remember that all lifts settle with time and none of them give sustained upper pole fullness. All lifts require some removal of breast skin and/or tissue, so your breasts will be smaller.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+2

Nice tape job.  Your expectations are realistic and definitely achievable,

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Realistic expectations with a breast lift

+1

Yes, I think you have very realistic expectation with the use of a lollipop breast lift with auto-augmentation technique.  If you are happy with your current volume, but simply want the volume back where it used to be, you may be an excellent candidate for a breast lift with auto-augmentation.

This is my primary method of breast lift in patients who do not require a breast implant.  This will provide natural results with suture resuspension of the breast tissue to the upper pole producing fullness/cleavage without tension on your skin.   This will minimize stretching of the skin longterm.  
Also, by avoiding the longer horizontal scar, you will be able to show cleavage without visible scars and where swimsuits and bras that easily camouflage all your scars. 

This allows for a long lasting result because the breast tissue itself has been lifted, not just the surrounding skin.
I wish you a safe recovery and fabulous result!
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Nipple Placement After Breast Lift?

+1

You performed a lift without surgery! Yes, your results are very realistic and easy to accomplish. Even though you don't want implants, consider a small amount of fat grafting to give your breasts more projection and contour.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Appropriateness?

+1

Vertical or full breast lift can produce the result you demonstrate with the taping.  If you are happy with the volume of the breasts, the lift is all you need.

Breast lift

+1

Yep, that's what they will look like, plus scars of course.  Usually, in cases like yours, I recommend a small implant as well, but if you do not want an implant, no problem.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Nipple Placement After Breast Lift?

+1

What you have done with tape can be done at surgery, and in fact , many techniques of marking involve similar "tailor-tacking."

What you may not find is a surgeon willing to do this exactly as you have taped, since the areola and nipples look a bit too high, but that should be resolved at a consultation where the pros and cons of the areolar placement can be discussed. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Nipple position after a breast lift should usually be above the fold

+1

This is a great question and you have done a masterful job of trying to show your desired outcome. From what I can tell, your "after" photo is quite reasonable. How the breast attaches to your chest wall is stable and hard to change, but how your breast falls over the fold is not. During a mastopexy (breast lift), your breast volume is "repackaged" with the goal of a firmer, less overhanging gland and with the nipple/areola proportional in size and centrally located on the new mound. There is no reason for a breast implant if the size of your breasts is acceptable to you. A consultation should answer any other questions that you might have.

Regards,

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon