I Had Breast Implants over a Year Ago I Have Servere Pain in my Nipples and Areola

I had breast implants over a year ago now i have servere pain in my nipples abd areola its been a year should i be worried or concerend?

I had breast implants over a year ago - I have severe pain in my nipples and areola.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  At one year, you should discuss this with your surgeon.  Consideration for downsizing or explantation should be discussed if the pain is that significant. 

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Severe Pain In Nipple Areola Complex One Year After Surgery Is Not Normal

+1

There are many potential causes for pain in your nipple areola complex after a breast augmentation.  Pain that persists up to a year needs evaluation and treatment by your plastic surgeon.  You may have an entrapped nerve, possibly from a capsular contracture, or you may have a neroma (a painful swelling on a nerve).  No matter what the cause of the pain, it needs to be evaluated sooner rather than later. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and pain afterward

+1

You may want to visit with your plastic surgeon to take a look.  You may have neuromas which are causing the pain.  They can be surgically removed or temporarily blocked with lidocaine.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

+1

Is this bilateral? If yes than I have NEVER heard of bilateral N/A pain after a year postoperative. You need to be examinesd in person and than testing of the type.place, degree of pain occurring. 

Severe pain after breast augmentation

+1

It is unusual to have pain so long after breast augmentation.  I would recommend to be evaluated by your surgeon first.

Prolonged breast pain post breast augmentation

+1

Dear Tracy in Fresno,

I have had a few patients over the last 20 years with post op pain as you describe.  All have resolved with a combination of local regional blocks, desensitization exercises and medication.  Google the Gate Theory of pain for starters.

Of course your situation may have unique issues so I suggest that you revisit your Plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.  Good luck.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

You should speak to the surgeon who did the operation.  I assume the pain you're experiencing has not been there since surgery.  If that's the case, you need to be evaluated for capsular contracture and other potential problems.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain after Breast augmentation

+1

Severe pain at your point of recovery from surgery is definitely not normal.  You should see your PS as soon as possible and discuss your concerns with him/her. If you are not getting the answer or explanation you want then you should seek a second opinion.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Severe pain this long after is not expected

+1

Severe pain this long after breast augmentaion is not expected.  Your past history (incision, implant type, evolution of discomfort) and physical examnation are all relevant and should be reviewed by your plastic surgeon.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon