Approximate Cup Size for 339cc Breast Implants on B Cups?

I am 5'5", 118 pounds, 32b cup. I'm considering 339cc or 371cc Allergan Mid profile smooth round Breast implants, and I will be going under the muscle.

I want to look natural. I know from reading these questions that I can't get hung up on cup size, but could you approximate what size I will be?

Also, why do some doctors say you lose volume going under the muscle and others say you don't lose anything?

C Cup Bra Size After Breast Augmentation

+3
I prefer not to discuss size changes in terms of cup size as sizing can be very different with different brands of bras. The use of before and after images can help you first to determine whether or not a plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic sensibilities. It can also be an effective way for you as a patient to communicate the result you are hoping to achieve.

I use biodimensional planning techniques to help determine the ideal size, shape and placement of breast implants for the most natural look. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Estimating bra cup size after breast augmentation

+2

Hi Govswife - It sounds like you may be a large C/small D cup after getting the implants that you described. Right after the surgery, you will be swollen for about 4-6 weeks so your cup size may come down some. If you really want to know, place some implant samples in your bra or different bras to see how big you will be. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

339cc Breast Implants

+2

While it is difficult to nail down the exact breast cup size, you probably will be in the "D" cup range for the volume you are adding to your present "B" cup.

339 cc breast implants should give you about a full C cup

+2

371 cc will start to push you into the small "D" cup which might look less natural and more "implanted". If you are trying to have a natural look I would suggest the smaller of the sizes. Of course it is a little difficult to say for sure without seeing you in person but that is just a generalization.

As far as losing volume when under the muscle, I don't know why some doctors have said that. If you are trying on implants inside of a bra, you can expect the size to be a little larger compared to after they are implanted, but there should not be a difference in volume between under and in front of the muscle placement.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Use a sizer for approximating breast implant size

+2

It sounds to me that you would end up in the range of a full C-cup, but this is really not as important as whether or not you are happy with the size and shape of your breasts with this implant. Remember that cup size is subjective and in fact you can find different brands of bras with cup sizes ranging from B to D that will literally fit the same size breast. It is most important to be pleased with the general form of your body rather than getting hung up on the size of implant or the cup size of the bra. Make sure you try sizers to approximate how the implants will look under clothes, an remember that the final outcome is usually a bit smaller than the sizers make you appear.

When implants are placed into the body, the tissue that drapes over them has thickness itself, and in the interface just next to the augmented area, the thickness of the overlying tissue remains. What this means is that the difference in thickness between the augmented breast and the adjacent tissue is less significant that if you were to measure the implant projection against, let's say, a table top on which the implant lies. This difference can give the impression of a loss of volume. In fact, there is no difference in volume, just a more gradual slope when implants are placed below the muscle. This is a more natural shape, and is associated with a lower incidence of capsular contracture as well--a good place for your implants, in my opinion.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Predicitng cup size

+2

Given that the volume you describe is about 1.5 cup sizes and given that 32 band width bras go up faster in cup size, I will guess you might fit into a 32 D after.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Bra size estimation

+2

With your height and weight as well as the 32 band size on your bra you will get a distinct increase in your bra cup size with the implants that you have chosen. I think it is a good choice by the information you gave me. With a 32 band size the cup size goes up quickly so you could easily be a D size cup with the implants. If you used a 34 band size then you might stay a full C. This is my estimation by what you have shared.

Another thing to consider is the base width of the implants and the base width of your breasts. Try to match the sizes as close as possible and use a high profile implant if you need to. This will help the natural look you are trying to achieve.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Best guess

+2

My best guess is that you will be around a full C cup. Obviously, you are going with silicone which gives a softer and smaller appearing breast compared to saline implants. When you augment the breast they get larger, regardless of over vs. under. Given the same implant however, under the muscle may or may not appear a bit smaller, but in my opinion, the benefits of going under the muscle outweigh the negatives.

You are right not to hang up on cup size as bra sizing in not standard. The thing to shoot for is that you love your look.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Cup size

+2

You will probably by a high C, low D cup BUT remember it is not the cup size that matters, its the look. I find that one of the best ways to determine the right size implants are as follows:

1. Have the patient try on the implants in a stretch bra with a clingy top to obtain the look they want (if you want a "C" cup put on a "C" cup bra)
2. Have the patient show the doctor pictures of how they want to look
3. The surgeon should be able to put that information together to determine a general grouping of implant sizes and styles. He will consider the size of the breast and the chest in his analysis. He should also tell you the positives and negatives of going larger or smaller.

You don't really lose volume under the muscle but theoretically there is more external pressue on the implant's upper pole so they don't look as prominent.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

+1
It is difficult to predict cup size as cup sizes vary widely by different designers.   There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS