3 Year Old Breast Implants Causing Pain Durning Pregnancy, What's Going On?

Hi I got breast implants 3 yrs ago no problems only now I'm 6months pregnant,and my right breast is slightly larger but causing me alot of pain around the side of it especially if I lift my arm , I went to gp but she just said go back to surgeon ,, which is an issue as my surgery was not done in Ireland !

Breast Augmentation

+2

If your breast implants have never caused you pain, then it would be best to have both your plastic surgeon and your obstetrician examine you.  It is possible that with the hormonal changes of pregnancy that the breast gland can respond as you will find when your breasts get larger.  It is also possible they can become more sensitive.  If you had occassional soreness in the past during menstral cycles, this breast soreness could be similar.  In any case better to have your doctor check this out for you.  I hope this information is helpful.

Breast pain (3 years after implants) with pregnancy--What is it?

+2

Your breasts certainly undergo changes related to your pregnancy, and enlargement is one of those changes. Without additional information or examination, I can't state this with certainty, but I would suspect that both breasts are enlarged somewhat. The fact that your right breast hurts and your left doesn't is the real reason for concern--if both sides were sore you would undoubtedly feel this is just "pregnancy-related" and not worry or ask.

But with one side symptomatic, I understand your concern, and can only offer some general comments without an examination. First, as your breasts swell with pregnancy, the scar capsule around your implants may be stretched, and a nerve or nerves within or nearby the scar can be also stretched, sending pain signals, especially when you raise your arm. Of course, each breast capsule may irritate or stretch different sensory nerves, and that is why it is not unusual at all for one side to hurt and the other to remain asymptomatic!

Without breast-feeding in the equation (yet), mastitis is less of a concern, but still a possibility. That can happen on one side only, and examination by any qualified plastic surgeon or even a GP who is a bit more, shall we say, engaged in the care of her patient can determine if this is an issue.

Capsular contracture can also cause pain, but as my colleagues have stated, it is much more likely that your pregnancy is the issue here, rather than any problem with implants that have been "just fine" for the past 3 years. Seek consultation with a qualified local plastic surgeon and your concerns can be addressed. Good luck with your new addition and Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain during pregnancy

+2

If you imlpants were comfortable for the past three years, it is most likely the tenderness in the breast is related to pregnancy rather than a problem with your implants. For some the first sign of pregnancy is stiffness and tenderness in the breast. You should look into a good support or nursing bra.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Breast Implants and Pain During pregnancy?

+2

Whether your pain during pregnancy is related to the breast implants or not is impossible to determine via online consultation. Examination by a well experienced plastic surgeon will be helpful. Even though your original plastic surgeon is not available to you,  any experienced plastic surgeon ( used to dealing with breast implants and their complications)  will be a good resource.

After direct examination, your plastic surgeon will be able to give you a much better idea if the breast implants ( or more likely the breast tissue itself during pregnancy)  is responsible for the  symptoms.

Best wishes for an otherwise uneventful pregnancy.