Breast Implants for Petite Women

My frame is only really small, 26inch around my rib cage, 5'5'' and 7 stone (98 lbs). I want to go to a good 32 c cup. I've been told to have 270cc under the muscle but im not sure if i should have round standard implants or round high profile implants as im only small. I dont want them to look too fake though!

Natural Looking Breast Augmentation for Petite Women

+11
I see many small breasted women looking for a natural looking result from breast augmentation. I have attached a link to my before and after breast augmentation gallery that includes many petite women with natural looking results from breast aigmentation.
Obviously, a given implant volume and diameter that works well for a small-framed patient that is 5'3" will be inadequate for a large-framed patient that is 5'10". Careful evaluation of all of these issues is necessary if the ultimate goal of the surgery is a natural-appearing breast augmentation.
Having practiced plastic surgery in the 'breast augmentation capital of the world' (Los Angeles), I have developed some fairly strong opinions about this operation. In thinking about breast augmentation surgery, I believe that the most important question for a prospective patient to ask themselves is this: Am I seeking a natural-appearing result? When the goal of this operation is a natural breast enhancement, the results can be absolutely beautiful.
However, if the goal is to create a breast profile which is out of proportion to a woman's body, the results (by definition) never appear natural, and these patients not infrequently end up having a series of operations to address problems with their abnormal appearance. For that reason, I encourage women who are investigating breast augmentation to consider a breast implant size that will help them 'fill out clothes better' and improve the overall proportions of their body, not one that makes them look like "the gal with the boob job".
Quite a number of my breast augmentation patients are moms. After one or more pregnancies, most women experience a loss of breast volume combined with some 'stretching out' of the breast skin. In many of these patients, a breast implant of moderate size will restore a very pleasing breast contour. These patients are NOT looking to raise eyebrows at work or around the neighborhood - they just want to throw their padded bras away, and to feel better about their appearance in private.
In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. Likewise, if the inframammary fold is lowered too far, the augmented breast will appear 'bottomed out', with an excessively full lower pole, an empty upper pole, and a nipple/areola that appears to sit too high on the breast - another situation with a distinctly unnatural appearance.
The horizontal position of breast implants also requires a great deal of attention, both in pre-operative planning and in the operating room. Excessive lateral dissection of the implant pockets will result in augmented breasts with an excessively wide space between them in the cleavage area, and the appearance that the breasts are abnormally far apart. Inadequate lateral dissection, on the other hand, will result in an augmentation with an abnormal 'side by side' appearance. As it is lateral projection of the breasts beyond the lateral limit of the chest wall (in frontal view) that, along with the concavity of the waist profile and the convexity of the hip profile, produces the appearance of an 'hourglass figure', careful attention must be paid to ensure that lateral breast projection is not inadequate.
Another consideration is that the breast implant base diameter must match the existing anatomic limits of the breast preoperatively and the breadth of the anterior chest in general.
Michael Law, MD
Raleigh ,North Carolina

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

On petite women small implants can look big

+7

On a petite woman a small implant can create a large cup breast.  That same implant on a larger woman can barely be noticeable.  It is the implant size in relation to the body / chest size that matters.

When choosing the size of a breast implant, especially in petite women, it is important to consider the chest width as a limiting factor.  Choosing an implant that is too big (ie it is too wide for your chest) will lead to two possible problems.  Either the implants will touch in the middle or the will extend too far on the sides.

The benefit of going with higher projection implants is that for the same amount of volume you get a smaller diameter implant.... thus you can have a fuller implant on a smaller / narrower chest.  The downside of higher projection implants is that they look more fake.  So it's always a tradeoff.  You have to decide what is more important to you::::  Size OR natural look.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I prefer to use moderate profile implants for small, narrow-chested women

+4

It is not uncommon for small framed women to request breast augmentation surgery. The choice of implant, size and location of the implant is a decision that the patient can make with the surgeon. The choice between saline filled implants vs. silicone implants requires consideration of many issues. Some of these include amount of native breast tissue, patient's feelings about silicone and cost.

The shape and profile of the implant is determined by the breast diameter, which is measured by the surgeon pre-operatively.

Whether someone gets round implants vs. high profile or moderate profile implants is determined by the patients’ preference for overall shape, as well as chest dimensions. I prefer the moderate profile to high profile implants for small, narrow chested women.

The exception to this is if the patient wants a lot of lateral roundness. Then a standard round implant may be a better choice.

Kari L. Colen, MD

Proportion and Fit Are Important for Natural Appearance

+3

Of course, size matters!

But, most important is your own sense of balance and proportion.

Trying on the implants can be very helpful,

3-Dimensional Imaging (if available to you in your surgeon's office) can be another way to be sure you are choosing the best size and shape implant to give you the look you want.

Higher profile implants produce a rounder, fuller breast with more fullness in the upper chest. Higher profiles may fit a narrow ches better, preventing too much fullness to the side of the chest.

Low- and medium-profile implants tend to be more "natural" appearing.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Natural look for petite women

+3

After finding a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery, do your homework and find pictures of what you would like to achieve in size and shape for your body type.

Internally, your anatomy could differ, meaning your chest could be concaved or convexed and you may need a certain type of implant to achieve your desired look. In other words, the only way to determine what would be proportioned to you is when we are in the operating room.

For more information, check out before and after photos of happy patients. Good luck!

Breast Implants for Petite Women

+2

One of the key elements in performing breast augmentations on women with small frames is to match the implant to the chest wall diameter to prevent the patient from being grossly disproportioned which is aesthetically unpleasing and can be uncomfortable.  Therefore, one needs to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has expertise and experience in breast augmentation to obtain the right size for you.

In general, a smaller implant or a slightly higher profile implant that is a smaller based diameter will give you the dimensions that you desire.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

3D imaging can help you visualize yourself with implants

+2

Often times it is very difficult for patients to imagine what they will look like with breast implants.  You can look at photos of other patients, but this isn't a very accurate way of deciding on breast implant size.  Especially if you are very petite, it can be difficult deciding on implant size. I use 3D computerized imaging which takes a photo of your torso, in 3D, then any implant size can be inserted to simulate your final outcome.  This is extemely accurate and helpful for patients to visualize what they will look like with a 250cc implant vs. 300 cc for example.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Choosing the correct breast implant

+2

Whether or not to go with high profile implants or round standard implants really depends upon your anatomy and your desires for improvement. This is what I take alot of time reviewing with my patients during their consultation.

Breast Implants for Petite Frame

+1

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical examination or seeing pre-operative pictures. In addition, the patient’s underlying anatomy and personal preference for size and shape must be considered.

It’s important to choose breast implants that fit your body. These implants should have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures. It’s also important to realize that breast implants come in all shapes and sizes because no two women are exactly the same.

In women with narrow chest diameter, choosing the right implant can be difficult for several reasons. When women have small chest circumferences, an implant with a narrow base dimension may be necessary for a proper fit on the chest wall. When this happens choices are often limited.

Under these circumstances a larger high profile implant can be chosen. This might meet your size objectives, but ultimately gives an artificial or fake look. In some cases a moderate plus implant with a narrow base dimension can be chosen. This implant might not meet your size objective but would give a more natural appearance.

Based on your stated goals, it’s possible that you might need to make some compromises. It’s important that you discuss these issues with your surgeon before proceeding so everyone understands your priorities. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizes for Petite Women

+1
Implant Sizes for Petite Women
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that would look the most natural on you without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. If your base width is narrow for example you may require high profile implants to get to the volume you wish. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS