Breast Implants That Do Not Settle

I had breast implants revision 9 months ago. After having silcone implants for 20 years, I decided to go with saline. My surgeon suggested to put the implants under the muscle since the last ones I had were placed over the muschle. The problem is that since I had them done, they're no longer as big as the ones before (even though my surgeon says they're bigger) and they're not settling and their position is too high. I have done all the massaging and wore bands above the breasts but none has helped. Do I have to go back to this doctor and pay for him to fix this poor job? What else can I do?

At 9 Months, Revision is Advisable

+4

Your photograph shows excessive upper pole fullness.

This can be corrected with a surgical release of the capsule to allow the implants to "settle."

Discuss with your surgeon.  Each practice has a different policy regarding costs for revision.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com/denver-breast-augmentation-breast-implants

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant position

+4

Your breast implants seem to be positioned too high. I don't believe that they are going to settle much without surgical intervention. Unfortunately, you will most likely need to have revision breast augmentation surgery.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/breastaugmentation_results.htm

Breast Implants Not Settling Caused by Submuscular Placement and Ptosis or Breast Sag

+3

Thank you for your question. Breast Implants do settle and are often high for the first 6 weeks after breast Augmentation. This is especially true with submuscular implants.

Because your breasts have aged since your original implant, the breast has sagged down, a condition called Ptosis.

Placing the new implants under the muscle is an appropriate choice. However because the breasts have sagged, a breast lift will likely be necessary since the implants have not come down after 9 months.

Trying to release the implants to move them down risks a "double bubble" if the crease underneath the breast is violated. A lift is a better option

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-breast-implants/breast-implants-under-or-over-the-muscle-which-is-best-for-you/

Please visit your surgeon

+3

Either you have an early bilateral capsular contracture (unlikely) or your implants are too high or too high in profile. One of these is an explanation of why your result is currently not satisfactory. Start with your surgeon and see what they have to offer you. If you are not satisfied with the answer, go to other surgeons and get their opinions. Don't have any more surgery until you are confident with the doctor.

Revision breast surgery

+2

In my opinion your breasts never settled into the pocket correctly (either they have developed too much scar tissue not allowing them to settle appropriately or the pocket was not made in the correct place).  It is difficult to access without an in office exam, but it looks to me that you need a simple surgery to release the scar tissue/capsule to allow the implants to settle more and not sit so high on your chest.  Every office has their own office policy on revision costs, so I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Breast Implant Malposition

+2

After 9 months, your implants should have dropped by now.  I don't think that additional massage, band wearing etc. is going to be of any benefit at this point.  It appears that you are going to need additional surgery to lower the pockets and therefore lower the implants.  As others have mentioned a capsular contracture on both sides could also cause this appearance, but that would be uncommon. 

If your original PS does not give you an answer that you are comfortable with, then you should consult with a few others (Board Certified PS).  Good Luck, Dr. Weider

Breast implants should look great immediately.

+2

Hi.

I am sorry to tell you that the notion that breast implants have to settle is a myth. Your breasts should look great right after surgery. You will need a revision in six months.

Breasy Implant position issue

+2

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your implants. You may have a capsular contracture, or the pocket was not opened up enough or the muscle adequately divided inferomedially. Needless to say, they should be corrected.

Superior Malposition of Breast Implants

+1

Your pictures strongly suggest that you have superior malposition of your breast implants after having them relocated to a sub muscular position. Since your nine months post- surgery, it’s unlikely that the problem will get better without surgical revision of the breast pocket. 

Superior displacement of breast implants can occur for a variety of reasons. In the early post-operative period this is often related to muscle spasm and swelling. Unfortunately, when superior malposition of implants occurs late in the post-operative course other possibilities need to be considered. The two most likely causes are inadequate dissection of the lower breast pocket and the development of capsular contracture. Unfortunately, both of these problems require surgical intervention.

Correction of this problem will require expansion of the inferior breast pocket irregardless of the cause. It’s safe to say that massage and superior compression bands will have no impact on this problem at this point.

It’s important that you consult your original surgeon and express your concerns. In some cases a second opinion may be helpful as well. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants that have not settled

+1
It sounds as if the lower origin of the pectorals muscle needs to be released to allow the implants to settle into position.  Due to the dimensions of the implants, a larger volume of silicone is required to maintain your original size when switching from saline to silicone implants.  On average, this can be 50 -75 ccs or more.

Web reference: http://www.drmoreaplasticsurgery.com/plastic_surgery_pictures.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon