Does Wearing Breast Implant Strap Affect Final Results?

Can the breast implant strap cause implants to be too low? Almost 3 month ago I got breast implants and I was given a strap to use so the implants would drop. I think I used the strap for too long and too low and cause my implant to be very low and lateral.

Sternal straps for Breast Implant positioning

+2

The natural history of breast implants is to settle down and out, just as you described: low and lateral. "Settling" can occur spontaneously, however some physicians will recommend the use of a "sternal strap" to be worn in the area above the breast implant bulge and below the collar bone. As a general rule, saline implants will tend to "drop" very quickly compared to the silicone gel implants.

While it is true that a sternal strap may accelerate the downward settling of implants, it isn't the only deciding factor. The intrinsic characteristics of your breast skin will either "carry" the implant or allow it to "bottom out". Any factor which contributes to the downward spiral is the size of the implant and the presence or absence of texturizing on the surface.

You should discuss use of breast strap with surgeon

+2

Are you using the strap under the guidance of a physician or doing this on your own?

I typically monitor the use to the strap and use it only as long as the implants remain high or with the input of the patient.

Wearing a breast implant strap after surgery

+2

Sometimes after a breast augmentation, your Plastic Surgeon may recommend you wear a strap, or "bandeau" across the top of your breasts.

There are other types of postoperative garments after breast implant surgery that are occasionally recommended to encourage a specific postoperative result.

Usually, the strap is recommended for a defined period of time.

At three months, healing is well along its process, and by a year, you will have your final postoperative results.

It may be that your implant position has changed from the initial surgery, or that the swelling has not gone down so that the appearance of your breasts have changed.

I would recommend seeing a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon in follow-up for their assessment of your results.

Karen M. Horton, MD

Breast implant strap use depends on surgeon's technique

+2

Some surgeons have their patients use the strap and some don't. The benefit or need for a strap really depends on the surgeons technique and what was done during the surgery. So, if your surgeon thinks you need one, then its wise to use it.

Each case is different, so your surgeon would be the best one to tell you what happened in your case.

Dean Fardo, MD

Breast Bandau strap

+1

Whether or not you have a breast strap after surgery will depend on your plastic surgeon. In my case I have my patients use them for 2 weeks to apply only gentle pressure and they should never be agreat discomfort to you. Your breasts will settle or drop with or without a strap but in the early healing period they are sometimes helpful. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon at your next visit.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS