What Breast Implant Size is Most Natural for a Very Tall (5'11.5"), Very Slim (135 Lb) Dancer?

I am 5'11.5" and 135 lbs. My ribcage is 30" and current breast size is 33" A/B- waist 26" - hips 37". What implant should I select to maintain my dancer's figure? I would like to keep a lean, sophisticated look that is also practical for the intense athletic demands of my industry and is still able to fit into stage costumes. I would like my breast implants to balance my thin upper body with my slightly curvier, more muscular hips/bum/legs, and give a gently feminine appeal.

Breast implant sizing for tall, slim dancers

+2

Don't start from the implant size and work backwards. Also don't fall into the trap of using external sizers to judge the size of the implanted implant. 

Fitting an implant is more like fitting you to a dance outfit or your foot in a dance shoe. You get measured and then see what fits you, not choose a size and make it work. The issue is also not what implant size but rather what breast size and then see if an implant can achieve that for what you're starting with. 

You have several issues working for or against you when it comes to breast size. A, B, and C cup breast sizes are the normal range, but dancers tend to have smaller than average breasts as do slim women. On the other hand, taller women can handle a larger breast size without looking top-heavy. If you are an A/B cup size now. I would recommend going up no more than one cup size to a B/C size but it's certainly possible to go larger if you think that will work for you. It's your body, your choice (within what's feasible). 

Implants are sized by measuring the width of your breast upright with arms down, subtracting about 1cm for the skin on either side, and use that as the diameter of the implant. The choice for round implants is the forward volume or profile, ranging from low to high (not called that in gels). A low profile saline-filled implant (Allergan) of the appropriate width will make you look about one cup size larger if it is properly placed below the pectoralis muscle. In silicone-gel filled implants this would be the lowest profile implant (Style 10 for Allergan and Moderate profile for Mentor). There is no simple way to measure the exact volume of breasts before or after surgery and no good way to show you exactly what it will look like. Ask for pictures of augmentation patients who chose lowest profile implants in a sub-pectoral position. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Fitting your impant to a small, slim body

+2

I feel that your best fit is dependent on the diameter of your breast.  I think the diameter for a thin, tall woman should be in the 13 cm range.  Try the low profile, 13 cm implant, which should get you around 300cc.  Try them on for a fit in the offiice.  Because you are a dancer, you may choose a smaller implant. Just be aware that a smaller implant means a wider space between your breasts and negatively impact your cleavage.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+2

hank you for the question.
 As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “gentle, feminine appeal”  or “lean,sophisticated” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Breast Implants for a Dancer

+2

There are many factors that are important when selecting the best implant size. These include the width of your chest wall, the current width of your breasts, the laxity/tightness of your skin and breast tissue and others. Clearly, you should seek a fairly modest implant size given the athletic demands of your career and your lean physique. That could mean an implant as small as 250 cc or so, or perhaps as large as 375 cc or so. These are very rough estimates, of course, and the final determination can only properly be made after a detailed discussion with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has evaluated you in person. Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Tall Thin Dancer and Implant Size

+1

Taller women can usually tolerate larger implants.  Having said that the average implant placed in the US is a 350 cc implant.  Moderate or moderate plus implants may be better for a more conservative look.  Anywhere from 250 cc to 350 cc may be appropriate, but really larger volume ranges are possible.

An breast implant with a smaller diameter might be right for you.

+1

You should first make a free consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and bring in some pictures of what you would like to look like. After your measurements are taken an implant size with a smaller diameter and higher projection may be recommended for what you are seeking. The implants should be placed under the muscle for a longer lasting optimal result. A smaller implant is usually reccommended as well for athletic patients. Good luck!

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Brreast implants for a prima ballerina

+1

Hate to be such a purist, but great ballet is about thin and athletic dancers, and most are quite flat chested, and yes, sophisticated. If you insist, perhaps a small prepectoral gel implant, but you should check this out with the the ballet master.

Implants/Fat Grafting to the Breasts

+1

There are various factors regarding how you want your breasts to look and feel, but if you and your doctor have a good, open line of communication, you shouldn’t need to go back and forth on your decision. A major factor that effects how breast implants look and feel is whether they're inserted over or under the chest (pectoral) muscle. If you want the most natural-looking breast you'll need a subpectoral implant, in which the implant is placed under the muscle. Depending on whether a saline or silicone implant is used this procedure only requires the merest incision - about three centimeters in the crease under the breast or at the edge of the nipple. It’s thought that placing the implant under the muscle diminishes the incidence of capsular contracture, the formation of hard scar tissue around the implant which occurs in 10 to 30 percent of cases. Subpectoral implants aren't right for everyone, though.

It is now possible with the newest technique for you to enlarge your breasts without resorting to implants! Specially prepared fat taken from another part of the body, such as the stomach or hips, is placed under the breast tissue to provide increased breast size without the need for artificial implants. The technique is called autologous fat transfers and autologous simply means "your own." And who doesn't have a little fat to spare?

In short, you must know -- realistically -- what you are starting with, as well as what you want to look like when surgery is done. Do you want a natural appearance or a round, perky look? These are some of the factors I weigh with my patients when evaluating what type of procedure to do.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast Implants for Dancers

+1
After making an appointment at your local plastic surgeon's office, you can determine the size of the implant that you feel would look good in you. The easiest way to do this is to place various sized implant sizers in a non-padded bra at the surgeon's office. Once you have narrowed down your choices in sizes, you and your surgeon can discuss which implant styles (low, moderate, or high profile) would fit your lifestyle and profession the best. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Which implant is optimal in a professional dancer who is thin?

+1

Yep you are a tall drink of water and I imagine that you are stunning. Generally, the choice of implant anticipates the way it will realize an aesthetic,or visual weight to the breast and how that will enhance not just the breast, but also the body line. It is needs to reflect one's own aesthetic sensibilities.Your profession requires a fairly specific aesthetic. An evaluation starts with an specific discussion of your aesthetic goals. A dimensional analysis of your breasts is done but one should assess the shape, dimensions and proportions of your chest as well as that of your waist, hips, legs and back. During your consultation, it is very important that your doctor listen carefully. A visual aid that has also been helpful is our Vectra XT 3D,  three dimensional imaging system. It shows, in real time, an image of your breast size and shape on your torso. Still, it is listening to your goals as well as using good aesthetic judgement, that is key here. I simply am not able to recommend a size or implant style without an evaluation, visual analysis and a good conversation about your expectations. Having worked on many models and dancers in the past, there is an aesthetic sensibility that is so important.  

David R. Stephens, MD