One Breast Bigger Than the Other? (photo)

hello, so i had my surgery april 11th, which is almost 3 months ago. It looks like they have dropped, but one is dropped way lower then the other. I LOVE my results except for that fact :(, and im very upset. The right one seems to have more upper pole fullness while the other one seems to have a lot less. I went from 34 a , and got 425cc silicone, high profile. i keep having this fear that maybe the implant ruptured on my right side.Please tell me what could be going on. Thank you so much.

Breast asymmetry after surgery could be due to pre-existing asymmetry or the way the surgery was performed

+3

Looking at your pictures, it seems that the right implant is sitting higher than the left one.  This could be a pre-existing asymmetry of the breast.  If you have them under the muscle, it is possible that your right pectoral muscle is tighter and it takes longer for it to relax and allow the implant to come down.  Another possibility is that the muscle on the right was not as released as on the left.

You should talk to your plastic surgeon about your options which may include downward massage on the right side, or a surgical release to get a better symmetry.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Implant size difference.

+1

Thanks for your question.  From your photo it looks as if the right implant might have developed a capsular contracture.  It would be very unlikely that the right implant would be ruptured at this point in time.  It is more plausible that you have developed tighter scar tissue around this implant which is acounting for the assymetry.  I would talk to your surgeon but it might involve a surgical adjustment where the scar tissue is released  so that the implants sit at the same level.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Implants Settling at Different Rates?

+1

It would be in your best interest to go in and discuss this with your surgeon as he/she knows your history the best.  It is very common, however, to have one side settle at a slower rate than the other side - I see this often.  I suggest aggressive downward massage on the side that hasn't settled to see if you can help the implant settle.

Again, because your surgeon knows you best, discuss this with him/her and get his/her advice.

Breast asymmetry

+1

It is always helpful to see preop photos.  The right breast in the photo does not look like it has come down as well as the one on the left.  This can be for several different reasons. It is best to be evaluated by your surgeon. Good luck.

Breast asymmetry 3 months after augmentation mammoplasty.

+1

At 3 months post-op, most of your surgical swelling should be resolved, and softening and settling of the implants in each of their pockets should have occurred. Your asymmetry is quite visible (not minimal), and you have every right to question your surgeon about what may be going on. Schedule an appointment, and ask to review your pre-op photos with your surgeon.

Pre-existing asymmetry may be part of the explanation, but your present appearance may also be due to pocket creation differences, inadequate or incomplete muscle release on one side, bleeding or fluid on one (the larger) side, or even early capsular contracture. A single photo on the web does not replace an in-person evaluation by your surgeon, or one of several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who would be happy to give a second opinion, if your own surgeon is unwilling to do so.

BTW, implant rupture is so unlikely that I didn't even include it in the list of possibilities for your asymmetry. I am unsure why you are worried about this; the present generation of silicone gel implants are cohesive and cannot leak. Rupture is theoretically possible and I have seen it 3 times in over thousands of patients with present-gen implants, but unless you survived a head-on collision where your breast hit the dashboard or seatbelt at 50mph, there are very few ways your implant could have sustained the force necessary to rupture it. Put that concern to rest! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

One Breast Bigger Than the Other?

+1

A posted before photo would have been helpful. But in any case it appear as if you have a minor to medium capsular fibrosis or a poorly done surgery on the dissection of the right pocket. Best to be seen by second opinions because very hard to help over the net.