Is Breast Augmentation & Liposuction at Same Time Safe?

I am a healthy 30 year old with no significant medical history. I am hoping to have a Breast Augmentation (with 375cc Silicone implants) and liposuction of the hips, inner & outer thighs, & knees (about 5 Liters worth). Is it safe to do it all in one procedure or is it better to split it up? My PS said it would be done under general and we could do it all at once, which is my hope. Also, what type of recovery should I expect. I have a 3 year old & 6 year old at home. Thanks for your help!

Yes it is very safe to have both of these procedures done at the same time...however, you mentioned the 5 liter number and if I think I am going to get that much off a patient, then I have them plan on staying over night. That is the rec of our society and I agree. Now if I end up getting only 4 liters, I send them home and they get their money back for the overnight.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and liposuction

I combine surgeries very commonly when the patient is healthy and the surgical time is reasonable and there is minimal blood loss expected.  An exam and history is essential to m ake that decision with my patients.

Combination Cosmetic Surgery

Every surgery has risks and complications. The length of the operation, the age of the patient, their medical condition and medical history (epecially of blood clots)  as well as the type of operation and any compression garment used after surgery as well as the amount of mobility and ambulation after the surgery  would impact the risk of the operation. 

A young person in good health such as yourself has a low rare of serious complications for combination cosmetic surgery and many undergo such procedures daily without turning a hair. 

Good luck.

It is common to perform body contouring procedures with Breast Augmentation.  I think it would be safe to combine the two surgeries.  You will need some assistance for the first two to three days with your little ones.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Safety of surgery

In qualified hands and setting, combining breast surgery with liposuction should be very safe.  Make sure your surgeon is ABPS certified and the surgery facility is accredited.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Combining Augmentation and liposuction

These 2 procedures are frequently combined but it's important to look at the individual case.  A straight forward breast augmentation would be a short anesthesia and home the same day.  Liposuction of 2- 3 areas can also be a day surgery but you mentioned that 5 liters would be removed, and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons recommends an overnight stay in a monitored care setting for amounts over 5 liters.  The time to safely remove this much fat by liposuction would increase your risk of complications after surgery due to prolonged anesthesia, additional trauma and immobility.  Have another discussion with your plastic surgeon about the safety issues of this. 

Breast Augment and Liposuction Together

It is quite safe to do the two procedures together and commonly done. The 5 liter volume of liposuction gives me pause, however. I have been doing liposuction for a very long time and don't think I have ever gotten close to that volume when combining hips, thighs and knees. That volume is no longer a simple liposuction procedure but a procedure that is getting into the dangerous high risk area. We personally stop at three liters when doing outpatient surgery. At 5 liters you should consider hospitalization and overnight monitoring for fluid volume complications and pulmonary problems. Give this a second and third thought before proceeding. Thin legs are not worth high risk. Just to give you a very rough vsual comparison, you can think of one stick of butter as 100cc. Five liters is 5000cc or 50 sticks of butter! If there is that much extra volume in your legs you should be able to reduce it considerably with a diet and exercise regimen, than do the lipo after the weight loss.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction and breast augmentation

I have performed liposuction and breast augmentation at the same surgery. The volume of fat you suggest will be removed is very large so I am not able to comment specifically about your case.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Safety Of Augmentation With Liposuction

Removal of the volume of fat you mentioned from your hips, thighs, and knees is a rather large volume of aspirate which does increase the chances of complications.  An augmentation would add additional anesthetic time to your procedure.  As with any surgery, you must weigh the benefits and risks to determine what you should do.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Augmentation and Liposuction at Same Time?

This combination surgery can be done safely at the same time. However, there are several important things to consider:

1. Patient selection ( overall medical condition and health status).

2.  Appropriate candidates for the proposed procedure ( depending on physical/psychological assessment).

3.  Quality of plastic surgeons training and experience.

4.  Credentials/experience of anesthesiologist.

5.  Location of planned procedure ( fully accredited?).

You should consider each one of these factors;  if in doubt address these concerns with your plastic surgeon.  if you still have concerns a second  opinion (consultation) may be indicated.