Breast Lift Before Pregnancy?

I have never had kids, if I had a Breast lift with Breast implants, and then get pregnant, would I need to get another Breast lift?

Breast Lift and Augmentation

It really depends on your body and how it responds to pregnancy. But if you already have sagging, there is a good chance that you will need additional surgery after you are done with the breast feeding if you decide and ofcourse after you are done with your pregnancies.

It is hard to predict because everyone reacts differently to pregnancy.

Breast lift before pregnancy?

Hello!  Thank you for your question.  This is an excellent question, and one very common for those seeking rejuvenation of the appearance of her breasts, especially after pregnancy. Your complaints are likely due to post-pregnancy changes of your breasts as they likely enlarged and stretched during and immediately after your pregnancy as they became engorged with milk for lactation. Now, they have a typical "deflated" appearance as they have settled but have lost much of the enlargement during your pregnancy. Options to ameliorate your complaints would include implant placement, breast lift, fat grafting, or a combination of these modalities. A consultation with a plastic surgeon may help you decide which procedure(s) may be the best option for you.

It may be wise to wait until after you have completed child bearing, as similar changes will occur after each pregnancy. Also, it is not uncommon to have different sizes of breasts, but I would recommend evaluation if there is a sudden change in one side from another, a mass is felt to account for the size difference, any changes in skin or nipple appearance, or drainage/bleeding from the nipple.  Changes can certainly continue after future pregnancies.  Hope that these answers help!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Changes after Pregnancy?

Unfortunately, there is no accurate way of predicting exactly how the breasts will change after pregnancy and there is not much that can be done to avoid these changes ( if they are going to occur).  Maintaining a stable weight  (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) will be helpful in minimizing breast changes that occur secondary to significant weight fluctuations.

Some typical changes seen  after pregnancy include a decrease in size, “sagging" and/or the development of some asymmetry.  On the other hand, some women  experience very little change even after several pregnancies.

Ultimately, it will be your own personal choice whether to have breast lifting at an early age and enjoy the results for an unknown period of time (understanding that further surgery may be necessary in the future) or to  wait until you after you have completed your family.

Breast lift and pregnancy

Breasts respond very differently from individual to individual during pregnancy.  It is a personal choice whether or not to do so.  If you were just getting a lift, I would tell you that you were better off waiting.

Breast lift and pregnancy

A woman's body undergo significant changes with pregnancy and breast-feeding. You should keep this in mind when timing your breast lift surgery. If you become pregnant after a breast lift, this may change the appearance of your breasts. For this reason, many women choose to delay their breast with surgery until they are done with breast-feeding and pregnancy. Wait at least 4 to 6 months after completing breast-feeding before considering a breast surgery

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast surgery and pregnancy

The need for cosmetic breast surgery after pregnancy depends on how your breasts settle afterward. If you don't experience a significant amount of droopiness afterward, you may not need anything at all. However, be aware that if you get incisions around the areola your ability to breastfeed may be altered and formula supplementation may be necessary. Good luck!

Not the best plan

I would strongly encurage you to wait until after bearing children for the reasons that you elaborate.  However, if you understand the consequences, you don't need to wait, especially if that is a long way away.  A secondary procedure can always be done.

Breast lift and pregnancy

Pregnancy can change your breasts in unpredictable ways, whether or not you have had surgery. So you may need to have a breast lift redone.

Here's the advice we give women. If you think you wlll have a baby in the near future, put off cosmetic breast surgery until you are done with pregnancies. If you don't know if or when you will get pregnant, then go ahead and have the breast lift-augmentation now. Any touch up you might need later is simple, and uses the same scars.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

2 concerns

I see two related issues here. The first is the cosmetic issue regarding how the breasts might look after the pregnancy. The second issue is whether or not breast feeding is an issue for you.

A mastopexy augmentation may alter or eliminate your ability to breast feed which you need to consider before having surgery.

If you have the surgery first, the breast will go through all the normal physiologic changes which accompany the pregnancy. this may lead to the breast enlargement during the pregnancy and subsequent falling of the expanded breast skin off the implant. Depending on the degree of change, you may need to have a subsequent procedure.

Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

May need a repeat operation

If your breasts are already sagging prior to any pregnancies then there is good chance that you will have even more sagging after a pregnancy. If you are not considering a pregnancy in the next say 5 years then at least you would have enjoyed your new shape for a few years with the knowledge that a repeat operation may be needed. Wish you the best.